• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Sammio Spyder group buy?

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
I OK'd this subject with basil a few weeks back. I am in no way affiliated with the producer of this kit and am not profiting from this in any way, other than saving boat-loads of $$$ on shipping.

That said, I need to find 3 more individuals who may interested in owning one of these:

1tj.jpg

1ti.jpg

From Old Car Junkie:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]The Sammio Spyder is a Triumph Herald based re-body that recalls the fantastic fiberglass body specials from the 1950s mostly utilizing flat head four cylinder Fords. There was an amazing variety of these specials as evidenced by the fantastic 1950s Specials site. The Sammio isn’t a direct copy of any particular car but could certainly be mistaken for something created in the 1950s.[/QUOTE]

I'm planning on bringing atleast 2 of these into the US in the not so distant furue. My main concern is the cost of shipping. Then I had a thought, why not rent an entire container and fill it? 6 car bodies will fit in a 20' container. A 20' container from southern England to the Port of Detroit is around $3000. Divide that by 5 or 6 and the costs are pretty reasonable. I've traded a few emails with the guy who makes these bodies. If we order 5 or more, he'd be willing to sell his "package deal" (body shell, inner frame, grille and windscreen, LH or RH drive) for $1600 USD (each). He also said he can provide RH drive racks as well. The donor car needs to be a Herald. The body will not fit on a Spitfire chassis with heavy modification. However, all the go fast parts you can install Spitfire will fit the Sammio. I'm estimating one of these can be had for about $2300 USD when all things are said and done. Anyone interested? I can help load or transport once they are in Michigan.

swift6

Yoda
I know of a couple in Northern Colorado that Dave may not know of that need total body transplants. They would make good candidates. I'm tempted but lacking funds.

OP
frankenstang57

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
BUMP! :banana:

6969ronin6969

Country flag
This is pretty cool looking. Do you have any idea what modifications would be needed to use a Spit chassis?

Thanks,

Eric

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag

6969ronin6969

Country flag
Thanks for the clarification. Those 2 images really explain it clearly. Anyone got a spare Herald chassis laying around?

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Actually, there might well be one somewhere in the Carolinas; I can dig up contact information if you're serious.

Note that there are two distinct types of Herald chassis: early and late. Early is NOT what you want if you're planning to put much power in the front...and by much I mean much more than the 45-50 hp of the 948cc twin-carb Herald engines. (In other words, almost any stock Spitfire engine is too powerful for the rear of the chassis where the diff and rear suspension all mount; that area just can't take the stress and is likely to crack or worse.)

6969ronin6969

Country flag
If it's not too much trouble, yes please. I'd like to see where it is and how much.

Thanks,

Eric