• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A salisbury limited slip differential-tr4

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
hi out there,
who is the best (cheapest) source for a salisbury lsd??? is SALISBURY in england the only manufacturer for a tr4? i do not want a quaife, detroit locker, or non plate type that isn't adjustable or shimmable. BFE lists them, any others?
rob

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi Rob,

BF&E may be your best source for a new Salisbury. I don't know of anyone offering a better price. You might find a used one somewhere for less, but then have to worry if it's really in good, usable condition.

One suggestion since you are in Canada... You might get better shipping cost and/or save on import duties by having the Salisbury shipped direct to you. Talk to Ken at BF&E to see if he is able to do that. I'd bet that his quoted prices includes import duties into the U.S. No sense in you paying those (plus possible additional duties from the U.S. to Canada), if they can be avoided.

If they were still making them, personally I'd consider a Detroit Locker. I'll be using a Quaife myself, although its not fully as effective as the Salisbury.

I've heard, but not certain it's accurate, that Salisbury and Detroit Locker can produce more heat in the diff. (compared to non-LSD or Quaife), so might need some additional cooling. Again unconfirmed info, but the Detroit (NLA new) supposedly is more prone to heating up than the Salisbury. Perhaps a finned alloy diff cover with a bit more oil capacity is all that's needed, although I've also seen diff radiators on a few cars using Salisbury and Detroit Locker. I'd be interested to hear of your or anyone's experiences with any of these various LSD options used in TRs.

I've got a brand new Quaife in the garage right now, awaiting installation. I also have a 4.1:1 set, supposedly NOS. But oddly a trial fit shows the crown wheel won't bolt right onto the LSD (bolt holes appear to match up fine, but the ring won't slip over the carrier... looks like some careful machining will be needed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif). I'm waiting until we pull the axle again, to check and see if the 4.1 gearset is at fault or the Quiafe, comparing the fit of each with the non-LSD carrier and 3.7:1 gearset that are both currently in the car. Might stick with the 3.7:1 anyway, since the tires I'm currently using are closer to 24" diameter (60-series), as compared to the stock approx. 25" dia. used on most TRs. Now if I could just find a good looking set of 16x6" wheels, might end up changing the tires, too.

Shipwright's disease.... a bad case!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

D

Deleted member 3577

What ya got against the Quaife?.....

You one of those guys who likes to drive around w/ one of yer rear wheels in the air /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OP
T

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
alan,
have you compared the stock carrier to the quaife? could it be that the ring gear needs to be heated and the carrier cooled for a press fit installation of the ring gear?
wheel in the air? possibly but hope not. want the tunability of a true LSD. if i'm going to splurge for a quaife, might as well get a salisbury.
rob

D

Deleted member 3577

[ QUOTE ]
could it be that the ring gear needs to be heated and the carrier cooled for a press fit installation of the ring gear?

[/ QUOTE ]
Had the same prob with putting my ring gear on. (Thought it had something to do w/ having it REM polished but I guess not???)

Finally decided to turn a brand new Tran-X case down***GASP***

BTW.......I like Tran-X but I don't think they are available for the TR4
https://www.tran-x.com/DiffsHTML/diffsHome.html

Maybe a call to Quantum Mechanics will help if you get stuck (203) 261-8497 (He likes to talk) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]
alan,
have you compared the stock carrier to the quaife? could it be that the ring gear needs to be heated and the carrier cooled for a press fit installation of the ring gear?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Rob,

No, haven't had the chance to compare yet, but I will. If heat and cold are needed, just judging from the test fit it looks like the amount necessary we'll be looking for some liquid nitrogen and a blast furnace... I hope I'm wrong, though!

[ QUOTE ]

wheel in the air? possibly but hope not.

[/ QUOTE ]

??? That would be my only reason to spend the extra for a Salisbury. AFAIK, the Quaife is otherwise pretty equal, just won't work quite as well for really *serious* auto-crossin'.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif