• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Running Rich in California

skinsgamer

Does anybody know a trick to get the ZS to run leaner? My mechanic and I have both tried unsuccessfully to lean my 78' midget down enough to pass smog.

I've tried 3 different ZS carbs, one was even a manual choke (illegal for me in Cali), nothing is working.

Is there a known cause, I know ZS tend to run rich naturally which has been the demise of many midgets. Thanks to superior British engineering, locating the Cat directly under the Carbs fuel bowl?

Anyway, it's been 3 years of frustration and I'd like to get her back on the road.

tweety

Jedi Trainee
No one is rich in California anymore!

What city are you in? My mechanic (outside San Diego) got mine to pass with flying colors. Are you sure it's a rich mix? Mine had carb issues, and a hollow cat. New cat and "FrankenCarb" (two z-s cobbled together) and all was well.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I am running an aftermarket aircleaner - longflo. I taped off half the aircleaner and it leaned right out. Oh, and while I am more than happy to be corrected, I think a new coil helped too

Woodie

Jedi Warrior
can't new needles be installed like SU carbs, that run leaner??

OP
skinsgamer

skinsgamer

Tweety, I'm in Ridgcrest, Ca (3.5hrs north of San Diego). You are running twin ZS? I don't think mine will pass visual with that set-up, as far as I've seen for a 78' only the single ZS is authorized and the smog checkers here a fanatical about the visual.

My cat could definitely be bad, it's been cooked a few times (glowing red). But I don't want to put new one on until the rich issue is addressed or I may ruin the new one.

Funny thing is, I have a Mikuni carb tuned for the midget which runs great but doesn't pass visual. SAD

OP
skinsgamer

skinsgamer

JPSMit, I never thought of reducing the airflow into the carb. I'll mention that to my mechanic and see if we can get it leaned out some from there. Then maybe a new Cat.

OP
skinsgamer

skinsgamer

tweety said:
No one is rich in California anymore!

What city are you in? My mechanic (outside San Diego) got mine to pass with flying colors. Are you sure it's a rich mix? Mine had carb issues, and a hollow cat. New cat and "FrankenCarb" (two z-s cobbled together) and all was well.

Did you use a universal cat (magna flow 5300 series or similar) or did you find an OEM style front pipe w/ cat?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Woodie said:
can't new needles be installed like SU carbs, that run leaner??

I don't think you can with ZS's - we recently had this conversation and I think there is a different principle with ZS

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
skinsgamer said:
JPSMit, I never thought of reducing the airflow into the carb. I'll mention that to my mechanic and see if we can get it leaned out some from there. Then maybe a new Cat.

not Cat - coil - my plugs were black and wet and I think a stronger spark helped.

tweety

Jedi Trainee
Did you use a universal cat (magna flow 5300 series or similar) or did you find an OEM style front pipe w/ cat? [/quote]

It was an oem style bolt on replacment. Fit perfectly. It was a lot less than moss and VB. I think the guy actually made it to order. I'll see if I can find the info on it.

OP
skinsgamer

skinsgamer

tweety said:
It was an oem style bolt on replacment. Fit perfectly. It was a lot less than moss and VB. I think the guy actually made it to order. I'll see if I can find the info on it.

Moss doesn't even list it anymore and the only OEM one I could find listed was $355.00 before shipping. Ouch!

OP
skinsgamer

skinsgamer

JPSmit said:
not Cat - coil - my plugs were black and wet and I think a stronger spark helped.

The coil on mine is brand new from before this started. But, maybe a different brand higher voltage spark could help. What brand coil did you put on?

tweety

Jedi Trainee
skinsgamer said:
tweety said:

Moss doesn't even list it anymore and the only OEM one I could find listed was $355.00 before shipping. Ouch!

Rockauto.com has a non California unit for $179.00 I think a I paid a little more but they guy would ship it into CA where Rock Auto would not.

I still have not found the info on the one I bought, but it was around $180+ shipping.

OP
skinsgamer

skinsgamer

Hmm,

I could have Rock Auto ship to my In Laws in Washington State. They could send to me from there! In fact I should take the Midget to them and register and title it there!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
skinsgamer said:
JPSmit said:

The coil on mine is brand new from before this started. But, maybe a different brand higher voltage spark could help. What brand coil did you put on?

mine was just the generic - pick it up at PartSource coil - I think the name is Standard - wasn't any kind of high output though

tweety

Jedi Trainee
skinsgamer said:
Hmm,

I could have Rock Auto ship to my In Laws in Washington State. They could send to me from there! In fact I should take the Midget to them and register and title it there!

From what I understand, the Cats are all the same. The CA certified ones cost more etc because they are tested by some lab. That testing costs money so they tack on the fees.

My mechanic could only provide a CA certified cat as his shop was a "Gold Shield" station. They would ultimately be the ones that tested and documented my car. If I brought them a Cat, it did not matter, there's no way for them to tell that is was not a CA cat.

You could always try Rock Auto and see if it slips through their ordering system.

I swear that I got mine through e-bay, but I can't find any history.

OP
skinsgamer

skinsgamer

Tweety, good info on the Cat being the same except for the california testing cost. That's the reason we can only use the ZS on our car too, no company wants to pay the huge cost of getting CA certified for a Midget. There's just not enough on the road to warrant the cost, so we are stuck.

I will either go ebay or have Rock Auto ship it to my in-laws and have them send it down to me.

Right now I need to get the carb to run leaner. My mechanic made a special tool to either adjust the needle or floats ( I can't remember what he said). Hoping it works. Spring is in the air out here in the High Desert 71 degrees today!

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
My money's on your mechanic making a needle adjuster. He can drop it down the dashpot hole and screw the needle down a few turns, so it sits lower in the jet. That'll lean it out a bit, if it isn't screwed all the way down already. Have you checked for air leaks around the manifold, gaskets, and throttle linkage? Is your EGR valve closing all the way? Any little vacuum leaks between the carb and the engine will cause a ZS to run rich. And like JP said, blocking off part of the air cleaner (restricting the airflow is the goal) will help too.

BugEyeBear

Jedi Trainee
SO GLAD that I don't have to deal with those CA Smog Tests anymore!!

(I lived out there when they 1st started doing smog tests, and again when they started doing the visual inspections, & again with the "rolling load" tests... Not fun for the sports car enthusiast!)

Back in the day, my buddies & I all had pumped up Datsun 510s w 2.0 Liter SSS engines that we had imported in from Japan. These spunky little engines had dual SU carbs, high compression, shaved cranks, lightened flywheels, high red-lines, and were a BARGAIN at approx $300-$500 each (before mods). They were slightly used, cut out of a Japan market car, & shipped to the US on a pallet!

We used to keep an old stock US-spec 510 engine around just for installing once every 2 years for the CA smog test. We would bolt in this oil burning lump, drive down to the smog inspection station, get the test done, then drive home & YANK IT OUT! I just KNOW that the smog guy recognized the same engine being tested in half a dozen cars, but he never said anything. (He probably didn't want to lose the revenue flow...)

I'd be willing to bet that our SSS engines actually ran MUCH cleaner than the worn out stock US-spec motor. But the visual inspection REQUIRED that all the US-spec smog equipment be present, so we were forced to do the temporary swap.

Q: Does CA still have a limit on the cost of repairs to pass a smog test? (as long as all the smog equipment is present, that is) Or did they eliminate that "get out of jail free" option??

I do know that 1975 & older vehicles are smog exempt in CA. Yet another reason to buy the earlier marques....

Best of luck getting her to pass!

-Bear- :cheers:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
BugEyeBear said:
SO GLAD that I don't have to deal with those CA Smog Tests anymore!!-Bear- :cheers:

Yeah, I'm really glad I don't have to put up with those nasty California - where the weather is warm - smog tests and instead have to put up with freezing Ontario - where they also have smog tests. :cryin: :wall: :cryin: :wall: