• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rover 3500S

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gifI've got a question for you Rover guys. A friend of mine stumbled across a '69-'70 Rover 3500S at a local salvage yard. Tha car is 100% complete, rust free, and has been there for probably 20 years or so. It comes with no title. What do you think it's worth? It is a bit rough around the edges and does have some sun damage as well. Any thoughts?

Radford

Jedi Knight
Well, I think as a 1969 or 70 the car would be a P6B. Rovers GM 3.5 liter under the hood. The engine (in good shape) alone might be worth it.

OP
frankenstang57

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gifH'Ok, here's the deal. The car is at this very poorly ran junkyard across the street from where I work. Everyone I work with who has dealt with the owner won't go back because the guy is an enormous jerk. I haven't been there in 3 years, and I drive past it atleast twice a day! The guy has alot of cool old stuff, but due to his shinanigins, most of it has been sitting there for years. I wasn't exadurating when I said the car has been there for probably 20 years. No, the car does not run. It does have the V-8 with twin carbs and an auto. It has the tri-hood scoops and ram air on it. Other than a scrape on the driver's door, and the hood being bent at the hinges the body is in good shape. Like I said, it's rust free. None in the floor and rockers. One of my co-workers told me last night a new guy was running the yard now, and he wanted $900 for the whole thing and would probably take less. So I went over there to check it out and wound up dealing with the old bastard who used to run it. His new price was $2500 FIRM. This is for a non running car with no title! That's OK, I can wait! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Radford

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
One of my co-workers told me last night a new guy was running the yard now, and he wanted $900 for the whole thing and would probably take less. So I went over there to check it out and wound up dealing with the old bastard who used to run it. His new price was $2500 FIRM. This is for a non running car with no title! That's OK, I can wait! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you've been had, and it ain't even April.

Wait him out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
$2500 is way too steep. A rust-free example is a rare thing indeed. Be very careful. I used to own one of these babies, a 1972 with manual tranny. The thing looked rust-free, but all exterior panels.......and I mean ALL of them, even the roof......can be unbolted and removed very easily. Underneath there can be all manner of horrors. And I speak from experience. The rear suspension mountings are vulnerable, the first indication that there's rust there is when the rear suspension collapses when you're going through a fast bend. Did I mention that I owned one of these? Check underneath very carefully.

Sweet engines though. They are very prone to overheating, so make sure that oil level is always good, and especially the coolant level. Also change coolant every two years, it must be kept fresh and in the correct concentration. If this one is not going to run (they do not like sitting) then it's a straight swap for the all-alloy Buick V-8.

If you can haggle at around $900 or so then it's about right, that is if there isn't any rust underneath. Make sure you look there!

G

If you are interested then Steve has covered it pretty well. I used to have a 74 so I know a little about rust on them...

Inner sills and floors are murder. The front wheel arches too. Suspension has been covered (also changing the rear brakes out can be a real pain)

The only thing I'd disagree with is the price. There have been a few on Ebay over the last few months (I've been looking for a nice one - I want a restored V8 70s facelift).

Ones that need any sort of work regardless of how nice they look and how well they run have struggled to fetch 1200-1500. If this one doesn't run and needs work then I'd offer no more than $500 unless you are desperate for it or it has no rust at all (Then by all means offer 900 or a little more). Check out Ebay from time to time and you'll see what I mean. Just don't bid on a mint one if you see my name /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OP
frankenstang57

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Well, the guy I delt with's first name ought to be "Rick, spelled with a silent P." I'm not too desperate for one of these cars, I've got about 4 projects ahead of it if I bought it. $500 is what I initially offered, not good enough. I did tell him I hoped he liked lookin' at it, because it sure isn't going anywhere. I've dealt alot with the salvage community locally and have been rebuilding "S" titled cars for the past 10 years, so it doesn't hurt me to just walk away from something like this too much. I just think it's sad to see stuff like this just sitting and rotting. On a good note, the guy is older than dirt. I could just wait for him to kick the bucket and try to buy it then! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm pretty certain the car is rust free, especially if it's been off the road for a long time. The climate around here is high desert and they use no salt. The glass is all there and suprising the interior shows no signs of water damage. It's filthy, but dry. The carpet is out of it on the driver's side. There is surace rust on the inside but no holes. So how do these cars drive? Are they peppy? Who make the trans?

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I have no idea whos transmission they used in the aoutmatics. I'll try to find out. However, yes they are peppy, and handling is excellent. I loved mine, and if I could get my hands on another I'd be a happy camper.

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
If I recall correctly, the trans is the good old borg warner model 35. The cars run ok. Not really a rocket, but at least as quick as a 2000TC with a 4 speed. I have had 3 2000s and worked on a bunch of 3500s. I too would like another. These cars were ahead of their time, but sadly are about extinct on the east coast of the US

OP
frankenstang57

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gifThanks for all the responses guys. A strange thing happened yesterday. This guy in a fully restored Herald convertable stopped over after hearing rumors that I had 3 of them on my trailer.(only one now) It turns out he was the second owner of the Rover. He described it to a tee. He said the 21k miles is most likley original, and it had changed hands twice after he sold it before winding up where it sits now, back in '87. As he desribed it, "it fell into the wrong hands." Oh well, maybe I'll have to eventually rescue it!

urchin

Jedi Trainee
It's a great car but this example is too expensive in its current condition. Steve's right on the construction that mirrored the Range Rover in that the inner shell could rust away as the outer skin panels looked gorgeous. What a great handling car that could cruise, too - the pound/dollar exchange rate really killed them and they weren't large enough to justify a high price on the US market. Most were automatics because the US market loved [and loves] automatics.

Jeff

lawguy

Jedi Knight
I wouldn't count on the engine being worth anything, it was parked for a reason, and if the body's good....

swift6

Yoda
Frankenstang, Where is this car? Do you work in Loveland or Fort Collins. I live in Fort Collins and am wondering if its the car in the small salvage Yard by the New Home Depot and Super Walmart in Fort Collins or if it's one that I'm not aware of. Don't worry, I already have my V8 LBC so I won't try and steal it out from under you, especially for that price.

If you want to speak to a local Rover Fanatic you can talk to Bill Wardlow at The Motorway Ltd. (NFI). He has a few P6's, P6B's and SD1's. Plus tons of body and suspension parts. He is also a factory trained Rover mechanic from back in the day.

Unless your already talking about him. He can be cranky at times, but the Motorway Ltd. isn't a slavage yard.

Oh, and for you other Rover fans out there, another gentleman in Fort Collins also has a P5 (3.0 litre). He restores WWII British Fighter Aircraft. Now that is a cool shop! He also has a custom bodied (built it himself) Alvis Speed Six and a DB5.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

MGA Steve

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
These cars were ahead of their time, but sadly are about extinct on the east coast of the US

[/ QUOTE ]I think that is where many of the responses missed the point. Yea, most British cars rust into nothingness in the East, but this car is now, and for years has been, in Colorado. With 14 inches of total annual precipitation (that's rain, hail, and snow combined) along the Front Range, nothing rusts (or grows) much here. Seats and other interior items that have been in the sun too long can dry rot, but that is very different than rusting away. I have put a new battery in a car that has been sitting for years and driven it home!

Frankenstang--the others are right about the price. I saw a '79 3500SD1 with a 5-speed manual go for $600 on eBay last year and you could have driven it back to Loveland from Chicago. If you are mainly interested in the alloy engine for a GRM $2006 Challenge car, a guy up in Tinytown had two '63 Buick Specials for sale last year with the same engine as the Rover. I think he wanted $1500 for both cars. I may be able to find his phone number if you want to E-mail me off-line.

OP
frankenstang57

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gifHey, sorry about taking so long to respond, I usually hit the Triumph section most. Swift6, I live in Loveland. The car is in Greeley. I believe the jerkwad-yard is called A&S or something. It's over by the airport. Steve, thanks for the offer. I know the guy wants way too much for it. Like I said, if I wait long enough he'll just croak and I'll have another shot at it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I was looking at the car as a project, not a donor. I've already got a whole pile of SBC's for my my Challenge engines already. I'd feel kinda bad if I blew one of the lil' Buicks up!

swift6

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gifHey, sorry about taking so long to respond, I usually hit the Triumph section most. Swift6, I live in Loveland. The car is in Greeley. I believe the jerkwad-yard is called A&S or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh! That guy, yep, heard of him. Warned to stay away from him. Good luck with the challenge stuff.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif