• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

rough running

Woodie

Jedi Warrior
Ok yesterday I installed rebuilt carbs they were running on a different car. I made no adjustments. I am driving with gas (over 1/2 tank of 91 octane) from last november. I used Stabil to keep it "good". This morning car was very difficult to start and ran rough until well warmed. Needed lots of choke. I do not want to adjust the carbs until new fresh gas is in the tank. Until then would adding some Octane boost improve things ? I have no easy way of draining the tank other than using the gas.

Country flag
I'd fill it up, drive it home and adjust the carbs the best you can. Then recheck them after the next fill up.

OP
Woodie

Woodie

Jedi Warrior
Trevor, I went out at noon, car was hard to start again. I think I have the chokecable to loose and am not dropping the choke enough, I only had a screw driver with me at lunchtime. After I got the car warmed up, when I pulled on the throttle cable it back fired through the front carb a fair bit. I could hear the air being sucked in really well through the cone K&N's, so I guessed at lean, and went down 2 flats on both carbs to richen them up a bit. BOOM no more back fire, no hestitation. I went and filled up with 94 octane, and she rides real nice. When I get home I will tighten up the choke cable a bit so that when I pull it out it drops the jets completely not 2/3rds of the way. I will also get out my colour tune and check the ignition flame. Once all that is good, then on to the pertronix ignition this weekend..

Thanks for your help.

OP
Woodie

Woodie

Jedi Warrior
Ok I got home and the wife gave me a present..time to work on the midget. I changed the ignition over to pertronix, car starts and runs fine but did not do timing. Ran out of time.

The one things i noticed is the idle. I varies from 1000 to about 600 maybe 700. It is not steady. I checked for vacuum leaks and all is tight. and no signs of leaks. SO what causes idle to vary like that and if the timing is off a bit does that cause it. The timing was set at 10BTDC when I put the car away in Nov. to try to make start up in spring easier.

Country flag
unbalanced carbs.

OP
Woodie

Woodie

Jedi Warrior
at Idle that would be that noticeable? Arn'et the pistons down and basically sitting and not moving?

Country flag
Unbalanced carbs as in the butterflies are not open the same amount. Do you use a unisys flow meter or do it by tube in the ear?

OP
Woodie

Woodie

Jedi Warrior
tube in the ear, but have not done that with these carbs, as they were "balanced and running" on the PO' s car before selling them to me.

I know what I'll be doing on saturday.