• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rotten and Rusty Front Cowl - Suggestions?

Howard_The_Duck

Jedi Warrior
Hey guys

I was working on the disassembly of my 1971 BGT yesterday, and as I was attempting to remove the front passenger fender from the car, me and my buddy discovered that the front fender had been welded togather in 3 seperate places, and the fender-to-cowl gap had been sealed with lead. We also found where a frame machine had been hooked up so we are assuming the car had been wrecked somewhat hard.

Well as we were trying to remove the bead of lead sealant with a chisel, my friend tapped slightly off, and the chisel punched right through the front cowl panel. We took a closer look, and it appears that it is absolutely rusted and rotten underneath. It was all basically held together by Bondo.

The question is that Moss does not make that section in front of the windshield anymore for BGTs. Has anyone had luck finding this piece through another vendor or fabricating it? I would be very interested either way.

Thanks alot guys for your help!
Zack

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
If you're yankin' off "big bits" like the front wings, I'd suspect you have access to some modern welding gear? I'd be fabricating the cowl for sure. Panel beating is about the only way you'll get that cowl right. The beading is available thru Vickie-Brit by the foot, so no worries there.

Doin' a roadster here and the cowl on it is nasty, but salvageable. BTW, "All-Metal" can be great stuff compared to "bondo", IMHO. And there's this lovely spot putty from UPOL (English, of course!) called "Dolphin Glaze"... Wonderful stuff. I use an epoxy primer (Valspar VP-50 Series) to seal the metal over first: It'll stick to ANYTHING, including galvanized metal! then block it out and "rinse, repeat" until it's one lovely contour. Just throwin' this out there to see if there's anyone else daft enuff to be doin' this stuff ;-}

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D rotten essohbee Jaguar 4
Basil ROTTEN LUCK! Jaguar 6
Tabcon Rotten Frame Up-date! Triumph 12
O Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Spridgets 5
B Rotten Dash Top Wood Austin Healey 11
J TR2/3/3A Rusty pushrods Triumph 1
L TR2/3/3A Who's using what to treat rusty stuff TR3 Triumph 21
J TR2/3/3A Replace rusty sills? Triumph 10
J TR5/TR250 TR250 Rusty Plenum Triumph 2
NutmegCT Exterior paint - rusty spot Restoration & Tools 3
G Old rusty gril/ headlight bucketsl wanted MG 3
Lynn Kirkpatrick Loosen a rusty brake fitting nut Restoration & Tools 5
PatGalvin Rusty Boot Lid Follies Triumph 24
bugedd Rusty Bugeye in a yard Spridgets 0
I Tips on removing rusty bolts or screws? Spridgets 16
T ever see a rusty thrust washer? Triumph 10
B Restore a rusty uni body car vs a full frame car? Restoration & Tools 4
jlaird Rusty old Bugeye grill Spridgets 10
HealeyPilot Rusty brake rotors Austin Healey 6
R BJ8 rusty seat pan Austin Healey 5
NutmegCT TR2/3/3A TR3A rusty floor, part one Triumph 4
vping Freeing up a rusty jack - Any tips? MG 20
1979Roadster RUSTY FUEL PUMP MG 6
G Spitfire Rusty Bumpers on My Spit Triumph 10
KLUTZ Rear Rubber Rusty Bumper MG 11
jcatnite Rusty's Bad Habit Spridgets 17
kindofblue ID this Rusty One Triumph 5
Nunyas grr! rusty old heater pipes... MG 5
TigerEddie Elise Mk 1 recalls for rusty footwells? Lotus 0
78Z Removing Rusty spindles in junkyard Restoration & Tools 9
T Rock Tumbling Rusty Bits and Pieces Spridgets 5
R rusty but solid seat bottom Spridgets 4
S Rusty coolant Austin Healey 0
S Rusty coolant Restoration & Tools 6
56HealeyDan 100-4 Front Crankshaft Seal Austin Healey 2
AngliaGT 1997 Miata - Anyone Have a Picture on How to Mount the Front License Plate Bracket? Other Cars 12
mctriumph For Sale front apron 57 Tr3 Triumph Classifieds 0
71TR6 TR2/3/3A TR3A Front Bumper Mount Triumph 11
1 TR2/3/3A Rimmer Brothers Replacement Front Wing Quality? Triumph 8
Carlbanan56 MGB Front hub MG 4
F For Sale E Type Series II front and rear bumpers good condition Jaguar Classifieds 0
J MGB Front Wheel Bearings. Re-grease or replace? MG 19
scottkilpatrick TR4/4A Front Brakes - Basics for Pads Triumph 11
C MGB-GT MGB-GT Front Ride Height MG 0
C MGB-GT Front Ride Height MG 0
J For Sale Bilstein Front Shocks for Jaguar E-Type 727-498-6493 Jaguar Classifieds 0
J TR2/3/3A Mystery knocking sounds at front wheel Triumph 11
E Wanted 1963 Healey 300 mark 2 front grille wanted Austin Healey Classifieds 0
K TR2/3/3A Front brake hub removal to access Vertical Link bolts(screws) Attached pictures. Triumph 1
K TR2/3/3A How to remove the front brake hub from the brake disc? Triumph 11