• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rivets for Dara Plates Valve Cover

stretchit2

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Fellow enthusiast,

I found a decent Valve Cover recently and I want to recondition it. It needs some prep and paint and the data plates need to be replaced. How are the rivets for these plates pressed onto the valve cover?

Your comments would be welcomed.

Jeff

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
There are small tools used to upset the rivets, a good tool supply should have them available for you.

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Fellow enthusiast,

I found a decent Valve Cover recently and I want to recondition it. It needs some prep and paint and the data plates need to be replaced. How are the rivets for these plates pressed onto the valve cover?

Your comments would be welcomed.

Jeff

Jeff, the rivets used to attach the plates to the valve cover are solid steel. They are not pressed into the valve cover holes because the shank of the rivets is slightly smaller than the holes. You can install these with a hammer and a tool like a flat-ended punch. I used a long socket extension as the tool, I believe, but I might have used a solid steel bar I had lying around. It's also necessary to have someone to back up the head as you "buck" the shank with the hammer and punch. Be careful not to let the tools slip and damage the valve cover. When you buck a rivet, the shank expands enough to fill the hole and retain the rivet.
If you don't want the engine oil to leak around the plates, you should install the rivets wet with an oil-resistant sealant such as Permatex. After installing the rivets, seal the bucked end with the sealant just as insurance.

OP
stretchit2

stretchit2

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks fellas as usual good advice. I always appreciate solutions that include beating a part into submission.

Jeff

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
R Rear Shroud Rivets Austin Healey 6
P Rivets on windshield and vent window frame. Austin Healey 1
Rut TR4/4A Top rivets Triumph 3
B Valve Cover Plate Rivets: Useless junk or am I missing something? Austin Healey 10
R TR2/3/3A Door pocket rivets Triumph 15
Rut Copper rivets Spridgets 9
I TR6 rivets/bracket source for TR6 headlight rim? Triumph 5
svtmikey Aluminum or steel rivets? Triumph 22
R TR6 '71 TR6 Windscreen Vin Tag Rivets Triumph 1
M TR2/3/3A 1956 -1957 TR3 bonnet rivets Triumph 4
TR6oldtimer Rivets.. Triumph 16
eschneider MGB MGB sunvisor rivets [and now cracked glass] MG 4
Jim_Gruber Removing drilled out rivets from Top Frame Spridgets 4
19_again GT6 GT6+ wishbone strut rivets Triumph 12
milemarker60 TR4/4A TR4 Top Stiffeners??? Rivets??? Triumph 4
F BN1 Rear Shroud Rivets Austin Healey 8
frankenstang57 what size rivets? Triumph 6
mgb4tim RB Rivets MG 0
Lin Rocker cover rivets Austin Healey 3
jlaird Rivets Spridgets 3
jaybird Pop rivets MG 19
Lin Rivets - '60 BT7 Austin Healey 4
bighly valve cover rivets [how to press on] Austin Healey 0
S Wedge Rivets for TR7 header rail? Triumph 3
J SOLD!! Triumph TR 2 TR 3 windshield stanchion mounting plates Triumph Classifieds 3
Popeye TR4/4A Accelerator shaft install - location of bushing plates? Triumph 2
S For Sale Side Screen Anchor Plates Triumph Classifieds 0
T Kilmartin Adjustable Front Shock Mount Plates - Installation Instructions Austin Healey 0
B Any issue with cutting this weld on the spring base plates? Spridgets 4
A Later drum backing plates - hub not clearing Spridgets 2
T TR6 bulkhead number plates Triumph 1
T TR4/4A Why are distributor base plates different, is this a problem? Triumph 7
G TR4/4A Radiator Fan and plates spanning bolts Triumph 6
K For Sale TR3 Nave Plates Triumph Classifieds 0
crya Current go-to source for VIN/Chassis Repro Plates? Austin Healey 8
J Wanted TR3 Windscreen guide plates Triumph Classifieds 7
B TR6 Boot lid thread plates loose in stiffener Triumph 1
J TR2/3/3A TR3A Throttle shaft bushing retainer plates, Correct color? Triumph 2
histerical Wanted WTB Set of Later Spridget Rear Brake Backing Plates Spridgets Classified 0
Got_All_4 TR2/3/3A Has anyone installed one of these slack limiting plates Triumph 4
K TR2/3/3A Pressed steel body plates?????? Triumph 7
K Wanted A set of TR3A windshield tenon plates. Triumph Classifieds 1
K TR2/3/3A Rear tonneau capping plates and bridge pieces for mounting the Hardtop? Triumph 3
Popeye TR4/4A Rear brakes - spring plates and drum alignment Triumph 3
K TR2/3/3A Windshield stanchions on a TR3b - guide plates?? Triumph 13
K TR2/3/3A Numbered brass plates on the firewall above the battery? 59 TR3A Triumph 4
Marvin Gruber BT7 vin plates Austin Healey 4
H Rad bulkhead plates production run? Austin Healey 8
T TR2/3/3A Windscreen Stanchion Guide Plates Triumph 7
H Rad intake air deflector plates Austin Healey 6