• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge Rimmer's front rally spoiler installed on my TR8

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I just finished installing Rimmer's front rally spoiler on my TR8, and I'm quite pleased with the result. Still need to paint it, which I'll do in a couple of months when it stops raining here in the Pacific Northwet, but the gray gelcoat doesn't look too bad with my Argent Silver paint.

https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RB7175

IMG_0963.jpg

OP
Darrell_Walker

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
The stock front spoiler that came on my car was pretty beat up. I patched up some of the holes, and was able to dye it a more even color, but it still wasn't beautiful. Very good reproductions are available, but I don't think it is the best looking spoiler either. Many of the Wedges in England seem to have aftermarket spoilers, so I started checking out the sources. I settled on the "works rally type" spoiler that Rimmer Bros carries.

The spoiler is quite reasonable, but shipping for such a large item is quite expensive. I added a bunch of other items to at least spread the shipping across a larger order.

I was surprised to see that the gel coat was a light gray, I had assumed it would be white. I do eventually plan to paint it, but is it very serviceable as it.

It took a bit of fettling to get it fit. The passenger side only took a bit of trimming (a coarse file cuts the fiberglass quickly), but the driver's side took a lot more work, both filing and filling. I used a paste-type epoxy to fill.

Attachments

• IMG_0957.jpg
    IMG_0957.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0956.jpg
    IMG_0956.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0951.jpg
    IMG_0951.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 144
OP
Darrell_Walker

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
The stock spoiler attaches with three bolts along the front, and two on the ends that you reach from inside the front fender. The new spoiler had a place to attach to the one of the front holes, and tabs to connect at the stock locations inside the fender. I decided to use nylon hardware, my thinking is that if I were to hit something, perhaps the hardware would let go instead of shattering the fiberglass. I used a #10 screw on the center, and also added two holes inside the wheel well (the only two holes I had to make in the car for this). For the mounts inside the fenders, I used epoxy to attach two 1/4" flanged nuts to the fiberglass tabs, and nylon bolts with stainless steel fender washers.

I used some silver-gray welting intended for Trans Am wheel arches. I'm not 100% happy with that yet, there are some sharp bends that could be improved. I tried to overlap the welting, thinking that I couldn't make a nice miter, but I'll need to put some more effort into that. I used gel super glue to tack the welting to the spoiler while installing it.

I plan to paint it body color as some point. I considered black, thinking it might tie into the black lower body. But I found a picture of red TR7 with a similar spoiler in black, and it is just too much black up there.

Attachments

• IMG_0960.jpg
    IMG_0960.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0962.jpg
    IMG_0962.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 136

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
About the rain? Missing it already? :smile:
OH, we get rain here
Monday morning almost 5 inches in just short of 2 hours.
I finally got gutters put on the place yesterday.
What's up with the no gutters in the south

... but the driver's side took a lot more work, both filing and filling. I used a paste-type epoxy to fill.

Is it to stiff to shave some on the back edge then pull it to the body with screws?

OP
Darrell_Walker

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Is it to stiff to shave some on the back edge then pull it to the body with screws?

No, but on the driver's side, I shaved the entire lip off, and still needed filler. They just cut too much off.

I still need to sort the fog lights. The original brackets interfere with the spoiler (they are pretty large). I'm sure some angle iron will solve that. The lights may need to be a little more forward than before.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Darrell- Is that the version that most said they had to cut in half to ship?

OP
Darrell_Walker

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Darrell- Is that the version that most said they had to cut in half to ship?

It would be cheaper to ship if you did that, but then you have to put it back together. Rimmer didn't ask (or offer) that. S&S or Robsport (I don't recall which) did offer that as an option. I think their spoiler is a bit different, doesn't have the two extra holes.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
By the way
What good is the side shot of the car with it on
Get your knees wet and take a front on

OP
Darrell_Walker

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I got around to painting the spoiler, use a spray can from Automotive Touchup. Pretty good match, the new paint has a lot more metal flake in it, so it looks a bit lighter (the original paint is more like a gray with bits of metallic than what new cars have for silver). I also made up some new mounts for the fog lights, but I need to adjust them a bit as they are a little crooked. Probably were before, but didn't really stand out against the black spoiler.

IMG_3770.jpg

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Shoot, I meant springs
Head slap
Why does yours sit so low then?
can you measure your fender opening on the front and back to the middle of the wheel, please

OP
Darrell_Walker

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Why does yours sit so low then?
can you measure your fender opening on the front and back to the middle of the wheel, please

12 3/8" front, 12 5/8" rear