• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

RHD, originality, and other musings

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Okay, It's obviously winter since I'm thinking and musing again, instead of wrenching and driving. My thought process today goes like this:

1. I have a odd, previously mentioned obsession with right hand drive cars.

2. I've now got a complete 1275 drive train to rebuild and prep for Bugeye usage.

3. The Tunebug is a very original car still.

So I got to wondering. I'm sold on Bugeyes now, and have the foundations for the speed updates I need for mountain driving. With that said, do I go ahead as planned and modify the Tunebug, or do I make a switch come spring time and hunt down a decent RHD Bugeye for modification purposes? Can't afford both. Also, unlike when I bought the Tunebug, I've moved away from a need for originality. The simple fact of steep hills killed that desire pretty cleanly.

Tunebug is a solid little guy, but I'm always concious of the fact that I'd really like to be playing with a RHD car. Makes me think I should just go for it, and hunt one down. Wouldn't even need to have an engine, since I've now got one ready for rebuilding.

Just thinking out loud...

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Sigh, cut it out Drew.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
It's cold here, Jack, not much else to do. Good thinking time.

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
<u>IF</u> you do it, don't use the existing steering rack by 'flipping' it over so the gears are on the right! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I do sympathize, I miss em.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Morris Minor steering rack is the correct replacement for the Spridget for RHD, but remember that RHD is not the safest thing in the world for 2 lane roads- passing another car is kind of difficult when you have to put nearly the entire car into the opposing lane to see around the car in front of you. Hate to be a killjoy but I found that RHD is fun but I couldn't enjoy it enough to keep it.
Bill

fordtrucks4ever

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I say go for it. There isnt that many differences in the swap. Other than finding the correct rack, I think the rest is minor. Dash is even a simple conversion. The tub is punched and set up for either side. Besides a REAL British car should be rhd to be correct. The only reason I am spending all the time to ressurect my BE is because its rhd. Otherwise I would be putting the time in making the BJ8 like new, instead of my daily driver. There is nothing safe about driving a BE. If something American makes contact with one at any cruising speed, its all over with anyway. From the 0-60 times of a BE, I wont be making any daring high speed passes on a two lane road. Not without a long running head start. But if that road has a shoulder, problem solved.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I actually wouldn't swap the steering on the Tunebug, I'd wind up selling it and finding a Bugeye that was originally RHD. Converting just wouldn't be the same for me, even though I know that's a little strange.

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Drew

Follow your heart!! You'll never have a better opportunity to do it than now. Tough part will be to find a decent RHD original.

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My Midget is LHD in a country where we drive on the left...and I can't quite relate to there being a significant problem.
So Drew, go forth and be different!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I drove a LHD in a backwards country for years. Was a real pain, could not see what I needed to to pass or be really safe. BAD IDEA.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Drew, I had a RHD Bugeye for awhile, and it really wasn't the most practical thing to drive here in the States. Still lots of fun, but a bit harder to navigate in traffic.
Nonetheless, challenging or not, do what you want. If you decide it wasn't what you expected, it only takes a day to change it back to LHD.
Jeff

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Well, to be fair, I don't do drive-ins so no problems there
but the only inconvenience I ever have over here is city parking when I have to get out of the car to stick the ticket in and pay...still no big issue though.
As far as navigating traffic, I rarely feel that I need to be further to the middle of the road in order to see...we have small cars after all and the difference is no more than a yard, lean over a bit when need be and you've made up the difference. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Bugeye58

Yoda
Carl, here they would be awkward at ATMs, toll booths, etc.
In a place full of Hummers, Suburbans, Excursions and their ilk, driving anything small can be an adventure, no matter which side the driver is on.
Jeff

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'm not really that worried about driving in traffic, as most of my driving is on windy country roads with little traffic. And I don't think that I'll be passing anybody all that much, even with the larger motor. Altitude is a bugger on small motors.

This line of thinking mainly came up because I saw a RHD Bugeye for sale in Classic Car Trader, and it reminded me (again) of my longtime fascination there. I got to thinking that a RHD Bugeye might just be the perfect vehicle fit for me, given my limited resources.

Y'all have given me a few good things to think about. Won't do anything either way until spring anyways--as I said, I'm just thinking out loud.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Drooooo,
You where after a clean and not overly rusty example of a frog. Now you are looking for the impossable. Any RHD frog that you find will have spent the majority of it's life in a wet climate and will have been under the torch and welder many a time. If you have this strange desire still, I would strongly recommend converting your car and save your LHD bits to put it back when the mood has changed.
Just my two p...now go out and cut some firewood.
David.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
David, that's the biggest negative on this idea. I found (with your assistance) a really sound car. I'm not sure I want to go through that process again, just ot sit on the other side.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Hi Droooo,
I am just trying to give you the pros and cons to your idea. Maybe you just need to purchase another steering column and wheel...fit it to the right hand side of the frog and let your wife drive? Just a thought.
Cheers to you and happy New Year, David.

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
Would you regret it Drew, if you had the chance to do what you really want, cheaply and efficiently, but didn't?
If the answer is yes, you would; then go for it and add a couple more inches to the smile the Tunebug gives you.
A freind has a 68 Sprite he converted because of a similar longing, and he loves it.
Good luck.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I really appreciate all the thoughts, on both sides of this question. There are really good points on both sides.

I think Barry got to the heart of the question for me. If this is really something I want, that I would always be wishing I had, then I need to do something about it. Because I would regret if I didn't follow through and it was a relatively simple thing to do.

I've got no answer for now, and didn't expect one. Just some good things to think about.

ps: David, you gave me the image of sitting in the Tunebug with one of those Fisher-Price steering wheels in my hand. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Bugeye58 said:
Carl, here they would be awkward at ATMs, toll booths, etc.
In a place full of Hummers, Suburbans, Excursions and their ilk, driving anything small can be an adventure, no matter which side the driver is on.
Jeff

Duly noted Jeff.
Different car culture here, to the benefit of little cars... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif