• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Restoring Penny the Bugeye

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
In August of 2013 BCF member Gray_Cat messaged me about a RHD Bugeye that was for sale in southern California. I wasn't looking, I swear. I even sat on the ad for a week or so, but ultimately with some help from Jim_Gruber and Billm I got someone to look at the car, and while it had a few issues it was an otherwise sound little car. So I bought it!

The car is a UK home market car, originally sold in Penryn, Cornwall (hence the name Penny). George Broomfield bought the car in the UK while he was Director of Manufacturing for Delorean Motor Cars and ultimately imported it to the USA. I bought the car from his grandson.

IMG_1612.jpeg

Over Thanksgiving weekend that same year I disassembled the car to get it ready for the necessary bodywork. Found a reputable shop and off the car went for bodywork.

FRINK, ANDREW_Image_20.jpeg

The car came back to me in 2015, and between then and now (December 2022) pretty much nothing has happened. I bought some new wheels and tires last year, and that's been it. Other cars and priorities came first, but now that that the Morris and MGB are roadworthy it's time to get going. Next year (2013) is my 10th anniversary owning this car, and it has been off the road for almost all of those years. I'd love to say that I'll have it running by the actual anniversary, but that's not likely. Still, it is reasonable that I could have everything but the engine/transmission done over the next year.

So I'm starting up this thread to show the progress and to try and keep me accountable to make some progress. This car deserves to be on the road again, and it is time.

IMG_0991.jpeg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
great news! you will have a lovely stable of cars when finished.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'm excited, and trying to get things planned out enough that I can get to work. I'm coming off a few very stressful years at work (I work in IT for a public school district, so you can image what my COVID years were like) and just now getting mentally clear enough to be able to tackle the project.

First work is to get the rear suspension and axle rebuilt. I have most of the parts on hand, including a rebuilt 3.9 rear end from MiniMania. I'm lucky enough to have a 4-post lift in the shop, so I'm working out how to get everything securely accessible (see my other thread). First goal is to use the winter break (I get 2 weeks off) to get the car safely in the air and all of the rear end pieces off of the car.

First steps!

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I remember Penny from my previous live on BCF a few years ago. So glad to hear the restoration has begun.

Pat MM

Country flag
Thanks for sharing! My Bugeye is in line behind the Morris Traveller, but it is nowhere near as straight & clean as yours looks… & I’m looking forward to seeing your posts.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I made actual progress today! Rear axle and suspension is off and on the bench for rebuilding. A Spritely advantage is that the rear axle is light enough to remove with one person without doing any back damage. Was sure nice having the lift to work on, no more crawling around on the ground.

The rear of the car is up on some combination jack stand/bottle jacks, perfect for use with the 4-post lift. Just had to run a 2x4 across the car and could use the spring pans as the jack points. The Unijacks lock down like a standard axle stand so they're not resting on the jack portion, pretty neat. Car is light enough with no drivetrain that I did loosely tie the front down, just in case.

Next up is to refurb the springs and send the shocks off for a rebuild. Question: should I fully disassemble the springs? I've got new bushings and u-bolts, but wondering if I should pull them fully apart for cleaning/painting or if that's not really worth the effort.

IMG_1669.jpeg

IMG_1670.jpeg

IMG_1671.jpeg

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Drew - that body is spectacular (and so is your shop). Really great.

When the car is done, please send it to me for testing.

:angel3:

Great job you're doing.
Tom M.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks, Tom. I'm just happy to finally be starting on my part of the work. Lots to do, but good to be going. Just need to keep chipping away. Once I get all the suspension (front and rear) done, I'll be at the nice place where everything attached to the car will be rebuilt, then it's just going system-by-system to get it all rebuilt and back on the car. Not going for perfection, just solid driver status.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I'd be inclined to leave the springs as is unless they are squeaking. Looks great!

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'm thinking the same, JP. Just a clean up and replace the bushing at the end and call it a day.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
and how do you get into a bugeye when the hardtop is on?
Very carefully! But then as a big guy (I'm 6'1", 240#) it's always a bit comical to see me get into a Bugeye. 🤪

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Very carefully! But then as a big guy (I'm 6'1", 240#) it's always a bit comical to see me get into a Bugeye. 🤪
Kindred spirit :ROFLMAO:

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Made a little progress today, got the left side spring partially disassembled so that I can replace the bushing on the end. If anyone has any great tips on getting that old bushing out I'd love to hear them. I'm assuming it's been in there a long time. I do have a press, but wondering if I need to cut/burn it out somehow given it's likely well and good in there.

For now just doing one side at a time so that I have a template should I forget how it all goes together.

IMG_1682.jpeg

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Drew,

Have been away from this list for a while and thanks for mentioning me. Now living in Tampa Area for last 3 1/2 year. Bugsy is enjoying the warmer weather and no snow and can be driven from October to May. After that unless out in very early am or after sundown heat is just too much. My solution, another roadster. A 2004 Miata MX-4 MAZDASPEED Edition with Factory Turbo and a 6 speed. An absolute joy to drive and 40 more HP than a regular Miata. Too much fun. And during Summer Heat, AC works really well.

I've done this a couple of times. I've used a 20 ton press successfully and I also used a torch to burn out the rubber bushing. Both worked successfully. Some lubrication will help the press to push out the bushing.

Re. Disassembling, looks like you got the mini U bolt off successfully without snapping it. That's a major win. I used Electrolytic Rust Removal to get Spring Stacks apart several times. A Battery charger, Arm and Hammer Washing Soda, A sacrificial anode, large plastic container, Battery cables, Water and you can immerse the spring and connect up the charger. After a day or so, Springs will come apart and the center bolt can be removed.

Other alternative is disassembling stack starting with the small leaf. Get a few of the spring leafs off and your press will push that center bolt out without an issue. Wirebrush the springs and maybe a flapper wheel on the angle grinder and they will clean right up. I want to local Tractor Supply and got some Slip Coat/Cote a graphite based type of farm implement paint. The graphite allows springs to compress without squeaking. Paint dries a very dark grey. If you want it black will need to overcoat. I've disassembled 3 sets of springs, 1 using Electrolytic Method and 2 with Press and wire brushing. Less mess with the later.

When you put this back together don't forget to replace the radius arm rods. Bushings are brazed into place and it was simpler to simply replace with new. Get Peter C. to send you a set of his best rebuilds, don't forget which side the spacer for the radius arm bushings goes on and you are good to go.

Good luck with getting it all back together.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Oh and new Straps from The Strapping Lad. Be careful tightening the small U Bolt. Available from BE Guy but $20+ each. A replaced all bolts and nuts from Local Ace Hardware, used Gold Grade 8 for my rebuild for all fasteners. If you are going for a Concours Car, don't go to Grade 8 Gold Nuts and Bolts.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks for the info, Jim. Hoping to get back to the springs next week.

SNClocks

Country flag
Gads, your car looks fantastic in white. I look forward to following your build. Keep up the great work!

rossco

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I'm an old guy and back in the 50's it was standard procedure for the service station guy who was doing my oil change to spray the leaf springs with a light weight penetrating lubricant. Just a part of his routine. What was different then that they did this from the subsequent years that it isn't done anymore? Or is it?

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Bit of progress. Was at a tech session yesterday, helping someone in our local club set a TR6 body back on its frame. Once that was done, I got some help to get the bushing out of the Bugeye springs. Now I have to decide if I'm going to disassemble the springs, or just clean them up as is and do a bit of exterior paint.

IMG_1703.JPG