• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Restoring an MGB Works Hardtop

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Back when I bought my '79 Vermillon Red MGB, the dealer wouldn't sell it to me without a hardtop ($50 accessory). I told him it looked like a big, black hemmeroid on top of my car; so, he had it painted Vermillion to match....I loved it & kept it that way for years & years. A few years ago, I painted it black & put it on my black '63 MGB. since then, I've wanted another Vermillion top.

Well, a week or so ago, I bought a white one that was perfect for doing just that on. Here it is in the paint booth...tomorrow it gets its clear coat & then the underside gets repainted.

Doc, the code for the "grey" interior color is:

Sherwin Williams Polane T 1443

It'll say 'off white' but its really a light grey - like the GT headliner or an old VW interior.

vermilliontop01.JPG

vermilliontop02.JPG

I've got a new rear window, new side windows, & all new weatherstripping/window rubber to go on it when we reassemble it! Its absolutely gorgeous & matches the car perfectly!

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Tony,

If you have the chance, I'd like to see shots of how it mounts & what the rubber looks like. My TD came with it's hardtop but is missing hardware & rubber. I'd like to conjure some ideas up on what I can do to get it back sitting on the car properly one day.

Your top looks amazing by the way.

Rick_Stevens

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
Truth: When the picture loaded, my first words were "Oh, my!" That's nice, Tony.

R.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Sure does nice work.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Thanks fer th' "code" Tony! I'll get mine in the next few days. Time to get "crackin'" with this.

It does look bespoke, BTW. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
Looks splendid: top hole! Did you strip the white paint off beforehand, or paint over?

R6MGS

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
Tony,

If you have the chance, I'd like to see shots of how it mounts & what the rubber looks like. My TD came with it's hardtop but is missing hardware & rubber. I'd like to conjure some ideas up on what I can do to get it back sitting on the car properly one day.

Your top looks amazing by the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

TD hardtop! Now that I gotta see.......Has to be aftermarket.

I had a yellow hardtop on my yellow 78, and a white hardtop on my white 73...Much prefer the look of a painted top to that of the regular black...But for originality sake mine are stayign black for now... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[ QUOTE ]
Did you strip the white paint off beforehand, or paint over?

[/ QUOTE ]

They cleaned, sanded, primed, worked the little age cracks, resanded, primed, sanded again & painted...next is clear...then it gets flipped & the underside painted (its already been cleaned & prepped for paint).

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And those young guys really go after the prep.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Actually, Jack, Rickey himself did all the prep & sprayed it! I was shocked to pull up & find him sanding! (& the Corvette they've restored is getting its hardtop painted also.)

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Take a real close look at the paint, real close. I have found a few spots, hehe. I have not done any damage yet though, I supose the next chance I will get to do that will be stuffing the engine. Oh yea, got to pull the hinges off of that door. That should be an intresting time.

Jarhead

Jedi Hopeful
The top looks great! I have a hardtop that must have been aftermarket. The rear window goes all the way to the trim piece that fits to the body. The window is plexi-glass and all crackley. Would love to replace the glass and fit the bottom with a piece to hold a new window. I like the painted idea! As far as those hinges go, I just pulled my drivers door off and found a number 4 phillips (didn't even know they made one) at Sears that fit perfect and made the job a lot easier with no bu /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gifggered ears on the screws.

Top is looking good, Tony! I personally prefer the lines of the factory top over the aftermarket tops that have been available.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[ QUOTE ]
As far as those hinges go, I just pulled my drivers door off and found a number 4 phillips (didn't even know they made one) at Sears that fit perfect

[/ QUOTE ]

#4 is real close - but, if the screw doesn't move easily, don't force it with the #4 - get the correct Posi or you'll start stripping it.

R6MGS

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
Top is looking good, Tony! I personally prefer the lines of the factory top over the aftermarket tops that have been available.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif nothing beats the factory top.

Rob_P

Jedi Trainee
nothing except topless.

as in top down... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You know I think I need a set of those Posis. Only need em for a few places but would be helpful indeed.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Tony: Horsemits suggested you name the red car Juan. Then it would be...

"Juan in Vermillion"!!!!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

<runs>

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif Doc, you tipping on a Thursday night?