• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Replacing rear leaf springs

bighly

Jedi Knight
When replacing the rear leaf springs, is it also recommended to replace other bushings etc?

Henri

Jedi Knight
Country flag
This might sound stupid...but while your fixing the leaf-springs why not replace anything that might need to be replaced as a precaution...why do it later...including any of your bushings...check shocks...any and all parts really...if it looks like it will need to be replaced in the next 6-12-18 months...save yourself the time and/or the extra cost...do it now..why wait?
cool.gif

ThomP

Jedi Warrior
I have a philosophy for LBCs: "If it's rubber and you touch it, REPLACE IT!" The extra cost of most rubber bits is much, much less than the agony and effort required to re-do the job later, because one of those 35+ year old rubber parts failed.

I also understand that polyurethane parts are available ot upgrade those old, rear suspension parts.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Couldn't agree more. Whilst everything is apart anyway, why not replace the bushings? Save you having to do the job all over again, and keep in mind that new parts tend to expose the weaknesses of old parts, which then fail sooner than they otherwise would. Also, Murphy's Law is an absolute given with British cars!

Attachments

• Dad BJ8 1978.jpg
    Dad BJ8 1978.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 107
  • Healey Tree Hauler Resized.jpg
    Healey Tree Hauler Resized.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 77
  • BJ8 Birthday Portrait 12-16-2017 Crop.jpg
    BJ8 Birthday Portrait 12-16-2017 Crop.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 83

John Loftus

Darth Vader
I remember mine coming with the rubber/metal bushings coming pre-installed but it wouldn't hurt to double check with Moss. I think I've replaced every bit of rubber on that page ... all the Panhard Rod bushings, the rebound buffer and even the conehead looking Axle buffer that was MIA. Much easier to replace all that stuff with the springs off.

Also, a piece of advice. Spray penetrating oil on the pins and nuts and U bolts that hold the springs. Do this each day until the parts arrive! Also, when trying to break the bolts loose, tighten them slightly first, then back them off.

G'luck,
John

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Wanted to point out the rear springs come with new bushings at both ends where they attach. I agree that anytime you are rebuilding something you should look closely for other worn, damaged or loose parts. The only trouble with this approach is job inflation. You know, do a brake job and it turns into a full frame off restoration.

Cheers,
John

OP
bighly

bighly

Jedi Knight
John,

Moss lists the bushings as a seperate part 680-960. I'll remember not to order them.

Thanks.

cheers.gif

Ed Kaler

Jedi Warrior
John Loftus wrote and I quote:

"Also, when trying to break the bolts loose, tighten them slightly first, then back them off."

I should like to add that after giving all fasteners the "...tighten slightly..." move, REspray penatrent.

Also, if you can (VERY, VERY slight pressure on nozzel) "foam" the stuff on, works better!!

Good Luck!!
Ed
thirsty.gif

OP
bighly

bighly

Jedi Knight
I just cant help but laughing and thinking my whole project would have gone smoother if I just dipped the whole car in penetrating oil before starting.

lol.gif

I'll get more penetrating oil.

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
My two cents worth. Most likely, you'll have to replace the 'U" bolts that hold the springs to the rear axle.
Johnny, 59bn7
thirsty.gif