• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Replacing Michelin Red Lines....a question

bricktop

I am interested in upgrading the tire technology on my 6. I am running the original michelin red lines but I understand that there are also "red lines" available that are a more contemporary version of tire technology...may or may not also be made by Michelin. Any truth to this and if so, where might I seek such tires? I really prefer the look of the red lines to any other tire I have seen on a 6, but I am seeking a newer version of the classics. Anyone?

D

DougF

I would agree with you on a technological upgrade. Redlines, wet roads, and speed have caused many a TR6 an early trip to the salvage yard.
I can't answer who is producing the tire you are refering to, but I seem to remember that being true.
Another option is to buy the tire you want and have a tire store put a redline on it. I know British Car Magazine had done this years ago to a car. I do not know the longevity of the stripe, but it could be something to research. In the photos, it looked better than a plain painted stripe.

G

Or, www.classicalpontiac.com/restoration/8.html

There are some more modern "redlines" on the market that are
radials, unlike the original Michelin Redlines.

I know of more than a few guys who want the original redline look for shows. They will use the original steel Triumph wheel, paint it to perfection, mount a set of original redlines (tubes and all) and store them for shows. (Coker Tires)
They will run modern radials with aftermarket wheels, such as Panasports, and enjoy their car to its fullest potential.

Original redlines are great fun, on dry surfaces, below 55, during the daylight hours, on Sundays, above 75 degrees....
You get the point.

Bill

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
There are some more modern "redlines" on the market that are
radials, unlike the original Michelin Redlines....

[/ QUOTE ]There's no question that the original Michelin X redlines WERE radial tires, but they were maybe "2nd generation" at best...and there have been many generations since!

G

You are correct, Andy, but the fact that they required tubes sure made them act like biased tires. They were pretty bad. I currently have 205/70R15 Michelin Hydroedge tires on Panasports and they stick like glue in all weather conditions.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Pretty bad? No question! Sure, they were better than a Goodyear Custom Power Cushion or Dunlop Gold Seal, but they can't hold a candle to almost any radial produced today! Thank goodness tire technology has improved, eh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
Did any one thry the red stripe Goodyear that also was OEM on some TR6's. I had one as a spare, looked near new and had much more agressive tread design. I have never seen a contrast of the two brands.

OP
B

bricktop

Thanks, interesting article. My wife sees me handpainting a stripe on each tire and she'll think I've finally lost it. Ha!

G

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, interesting article. My wife sees me handpainting a stripe on each tire and she'll think I've finally lost it. Ha!

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain to your wife that because we can't give birth, we have to use our creative instincts by restoring cars.
(plagerized thought)

Bill

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Did any one thry the red stripe Goodyear that also was OEM on some TR6's. I had one as a spare, looked near new and had much more agressive tread design. I have never seen a contrast of the two brands.

[/ QUOTE ]The Goodyear G800(S?) has been gone for many, many years. People tend to forget that the Goodyear was actually THE OEM tire for the most part (with the possible exception of cars equipped with wire wheels, as I don't recall Goodyear made a "tube" version of that tire). A 155SR13 version was also OEM for several years on the GT6.

I don't recall any comparisons ever between the two, but I agree that the Goodyear tread pattern was more aggressive-looking....

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My '71 TR6 had the original Goodyears when I bought it in'73. They were shot by the time I hit 20K miles. Over the years we put a couple of sets of Goodyear tires on various cars. None of them ever lasted very long. Always less than 20K. Haven't used and of their tires since the early '80s.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
So what tire in your opinon give the best and most comfortable ride for a TR6?

swift6

Yoda
If your actually driving on the original tires STOP. They are way to old to be safe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif You are putting yourself, your car and any who might be with you or on the road with you in danger anytime you drive the car. Even cheap Costco tires are years ahead in technology, grip and ride comfort than the original tires that came on these cars. Please don't endanger lives for the vanity of having original tires. If they are original style, but newer, then I'll get off my soapbox. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
If your actually driving on the original tires STOP. They are way to old to be safe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif You are putting yourself, your car and any who might be with you or on the road with you in danger anytime you drive the car. Even cheap Costco tires are years ahead in technology, grip and ride comfort than the original tires that came on these cars. Please don't endanger lives for the vanity of having original tires. If they are original style, but newer, then I'll get off my soapbox. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif A buddie of mine was driving his MGB GT on the original tires and had a blowout at 65 mph. He broke his arm, Thank God he's is ok but the car got totalled & luckly no one was near him on the road....(DRY ROTS A KILLER)! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif