• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Replacement Rear View Mirror '70-79 style

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
In the process of reinstalling another windshield on Bugsy my '68, and have discovered my rear view mirrow has a different mount. Rather than remove, and rerivet and do retrofitting, anyone got a rear view mirror from a 70-'79 Midget sitting around they want to sell. This is the type that secures to the windshield with two screws. VB Part 9-092? Thanks

thistle_3619@yahoo.com

Country flag
If someone doesn't have a decent one for you, let me know I'm pretty sure I have a usable (but worn) one that I can mail to you.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks Trevor,

I'll likely take you up on the offer. I don't need anything perfect just serviceable. Let me see by end of day who else responds. I'll let you know.

Did my good deed and payback of favors to next door neighbor this morning when I went over to enlist his help in reinstalling my windshield. Found him swearing in his garage trying to fabricate a brace for the front of his boat trailer. He had angle iron, drill press, files, clamps, and lots of frustration emanating from his garage. Grabbed my MIG, clamped up what he was trying to drill and tap and bolt and within 20 minutes I'd paid back about 3-4 years worth of borrowing his big ladder and asking him for an extra pair of hands every once in a while.

3 of 4 windshield bolts are now reinstalled other than the bas_ard on the top right behind the wiring harness. Now gotta go find a midget to get that one in there. Progress ever onward.

Country flag
I went and checked. I have two of those mirrors. One has been painted and the edge of the glass has discoloration, the glass in the other looks better, but the plastic is a little powdery (would probably look OK with a little paint).

Usually at swap meets you can find boxes of those mirrors usually going from $5-15 depending on the condition and your haggling skills. :wink:

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Trevor,

How much do you want for the one that needs paint and cleanup. I'll put a check in the mail. Send me your address. thistle_3619@yahoo.com I'll need before August when next local Dayton LBC Car Show is. I'd better get Bugsy back on the road and finished before then.

Mailing Address:
Jim Gruber
3656 Echo Hill Lane
Beavercreek, OH 45430

Thanks.

Country flag
No charge, just refund me the shipping when you get it.

And remind me to put it in the mail on Monday.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks Trevor,

As ever this list amazes me.

Country flag
I put it in the mail today.

I used the Ugly Bug to run errands today (since the kids are at Grandma's house). It was going well until a sudden rubbing noise appeared from the left drum while going around a corner. I hope it is something simple. I chose a route home that didn't involve many turns and the rubbing only occurred during corners.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks Trevor, I'll be on the lookout for it. Got some replacement bolts for center rod today when I was running erands so windshield reinstall will be complete tonight if I can find 20 minutes of garage time. Better half needs to quit buying stuff for me to plant and deciding she needs another flower bed expanded. My Ozark's money has all gone into plants for her.

Trevor it was probably the speed at which you went around the corner. I'm assuming LR Drum and that you've upgraded to discs on the front. Sure tire wasn't rubbing?

Country flag
Nope, I think the drum was rubbing the backplate. I had already "eased" the edge to prevent rubbing. (This is needed with later model back brakes on early model rear end.) But... I forgot to put those locating screws into the drum. It shifted behind the wheel and was rubbing. I think I have it fixed.

Now... on to the next issue: I removed too many leafs from the rear spring and I'm bottoming out the suspension too easily. Putting a leaf back in each side is not a job I'm looking forward to.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
diet? :devilgrin: do you have the front spacers? Are they unique to 1500's?

Country flag
Nope, no spacers. Not much you can do to alter the ride height in the rear without changing springs or adding a wedge.

Country flag
Oh... and diet is on my list of things to do. :wink:

G

My 79 mirror is nice however theres a small crack in the plastic. If you want it, PM me your address and I'll mail it to you.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ha, after the Loto wife said she gained two pounds. Me about the same but I need to loose more, more, more.