• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Repairing Paint Chips

Ray Smith

Jedi Hopeful
Anyone have any good suggestions for reparing paint chips. My "new" healey has some chips in the paint that I would like to repair. My attempts at repainting chips with the little touch-up applicators has been terrible.

Ray

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Ray, can't answer your question, but am eagerly awaiting a reply since I've got the same issue with my Midget.
Someone will be along shortly, I'm sure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Country flag
Depending on color, I've had pretty good results using the following products on my BMWs.

Using the touch up paint, fill in the crater gradually (layer by layer, letting each layer dry thoroughly) until the surface of the chipped area is higher than the surrounding area. Let this dry for several days.

Now get yourself some Langka (www.langka.com) and follow the directions.

The repaired chips on the metallic black car are completely invisible. The gray car doesn't lend itself so well, while certainly better than seeing light colored primer, you can still see them in certain light. More a function of the color match of the touch up paint than the process.

All in all, the Langka does what it claims to do, can't ask any more than that from a product.

Skip & Lynne

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Ray try this.
Step 1. Use the touch up bottle and caot by coat fill the chip untill it is higher than the surrounding paint. Let each coat dry before you apply the next one.

Step 2. Use some 1500 or 2000 grit sandpaper and GENLY wet sand the chipped area down untill it is flush with the surrounding paint. Don`t worry if you scratch the surrounding area just don`t cut through the color coat.

Step 3. Get a variable speed buffer (Harbor Freight Tools) with both a wool pad and a soft foam pad.

Step 4. Use a medium buffing compound with the wool pad and buff the sanded area. DO NOT BURN THE PAINT. Let the buffer do the work gently.

Step 5 Use a fine compound with the foam pad and finish the buffing and finish off with a hand coat of good wax and then swirl remover and the results will amaze you. Skip

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
If I may offer a Step 1.5 -- I use a single-edge razor blade with pieces of masking tape over each end of the edge of the blade, leaving a gap of bare blade about a half inch or slightly more than the width of the chip.

This can then be pushed along to shave the excess paint to a level very close to the surrounding paint. Then on to Step 2 which will not take much sanding.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
[ QUOTE ]
All in all, the Langka does what it claims to do, can't ask any more than that from a product.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with Randy. No sanding, shaving, polishing. Langka is great.
D

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with Randy. No sanding, shaving, polishing. Langka is great.
D

[/ QUOTE ]

Whew, those guys work too hard! Ive got too many projects going on to spend that much time on paint chips /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif