• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Repairing Original Fractured Steering Wheel

pkmh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hello,

I noticed the topic posted about painting the original steering wheel.

At some point I will attempt to refurbish my original steering wheel. In my case where the spokes meet the wheel, all points of the rigid plastic are fractured.

I considered making a mixture consisting of say, pulverized old 78 records (because they're black in color and easy enough to pulverize to a powder substance) and mixing with an epoxy base glue.

I would also consider making metal inserts, concealed from view, and place in such a way to make rigid those [third] points.

Using old records, I feel, make for easier filing and sanding to a smooth finish and hopefully blend in with little difference in appearance.

Any thoughts on this approach or even better?? I do wish to keep my original wheel.

Paul

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The sores that sell casting epoxy also sell dye to color it any color, including black. I think that might be easier than trying to pulverize old 78 records.

stretchit2

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I am no expert (at almost everything)however, Roger Moment is an expert (he along with Gary Anderson are quite respected in the Healey community), anyway Roger wrote an article that is posted on the web page for Austin Healey Club USA Austin Healey Club USA

The short story is Roger thinks it is best to buy a new plastic steering wheel, but if you are going to restore the wheel he suggest wet sanding the surface, with progressively finer sand paper. For a filler he recommended J-B Weld as it is excellent for this, but is light gray in color. Buy a tube of artists lamp black (an oil paint), and mix a bit into the fresh epoxy to turn it black.

The next step is to polish the rim. He says any paste polishing compound works well. Take a damp cloth and rub in a circular motion as you work your way around the rim. Finish by rubbing along the rim circumference.

If you are interested in this solution I would recommend going to the site and reading the article. By the way site as a bunch of great tech articles archieved in the site.

Good Luck,

Jeff

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Safety first guys ...

If possible buy a new one.

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey Jeff,
You're right, Roger is "the man" in my opinion and has helped me several times with restoring my Healey's. The J-B Weld sounds like a good idea and I might try that on my trafficator as has a crack in it and had not figured out how to repair.
Regards,
Mike

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
While I agree that Roger is "the man" I don't agree with using oil paint in epoxy. As John said above, there are dyes for that purpose. There is a plastics store near me that carries translucent and opaque dyes in many colors. Unfortunately, they have a crappy website Hastings Plastics

OP
pkmh

pkmh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks John about the TAP plastics. There is a Pearl Paints store near me (for artist supplies). If I can purchase on the spot then I'll do it that way. if not, then I will purchase through the site you gave me.

Much appreciated!!

Thanks,

Paul