• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Removing the exhaust manifold on an MGB

wkilleffer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've been trying to remove the exhaust manifold on my 1974 MGB to replace the manifold gasket.

The intake manifold, heat shield, and carbs are off. All the nuts are off all the studs. I've unfastened the manifold from the exhaust pipes.

Trouble is, nothing I've done gives enough clearance to get the manifold off of the last stud that's closest to the back of the car. The manifold wants to hit the steering rod. Otherwise, it would come right off.

Is it ok to cut the tip off that last stud and replace it? I have some extras, but there's always that fear that I won't be able to get the old stud out.

Any ideas or suggestions, including reading the manual, would be welcome.

Thank you,

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
There are long studs and short studs for an MGB manifold. The center 4 are long, the frontmost and rearmost two are short (or are supposed to be).

Have you given it a really good wiggle?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
William, If all else fails, try loosening the left motor mount and jack the left side of the engine up a little. I had the same problem and jacking up the left side worked for me. Also Scotts right about the long and short studs. You might have a long stud where a short one should be. PJ

OP
wkilleffer

wkilleffer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
William, If all else fails, try loosening the left motor mount and jack the left side of the engine up a little. I had the same problem and jacking up the left side worked for me. Also Scotts right about the long and short studs. You might have a long stud where a short one should be. PJ

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do you put the jack? I don't want to do this and tear something up.

I'll have another look at the stud length and try wiggling it again. It may just need to be cut and replaced with the proper stud. I'm just afraid I wouldn't be able to get the wrong one out.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I used a block of wood on a bottle jack and jacked on the left side oil pan flange. The wood block rested on the pan bolts and did no damage to the pan. I didn't have to jack it up much. Only about an inch. Just enough to get the manifold off the stud. I put in all new studs and brass nuts. Just make sure the block is stable on the jack. PJ

OP
wkilleffer

wkilleffer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I used a block of wood on a bottle jack and jacked on the left side oil pan flange. The wood block rested on the pan bolts and did no damage to the pan. I didn't have to jack it up much. Only about an inch. Just enough to get the manifold off the stud. I put in all new studs and brass nuts. Just make sure the block is stable on the jack. PJ

[/ QUOTE ]

I sense a trip to Sears in the near future to buy a bottle jack. All I've got is a cheap auto jack from Autozone or some other such place.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If the last one is a stud, you have a DPO lurking about...its should be a bolt.

G

You can't beat a roll around floor jack for working on most anything on a car. Bottle jacks are way less stable than a good solid floor jack.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
You can't beat a roll around floor jack for working on most anything on a car. Bottle jacks are way less stable than a good solid floor jack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true, I have two of them in my shop, but a floor jack won't go where you need it just to rock the engine up a bit. You would have to jack on the bottom of the pan. To me , that's a nono. With a small bottle jack, you can get up along side of the pan and jack on the block, using a softener of course, such as a block of wood or whatever. PJ

AlanT

Jedi Trainee
Like Scott H said, just doublenut that stud (and it is a stud...bolts are on Stromberg cars) and remove it. I did this just a few weeks back on my '74BGT.

Alan T

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Alan - you're correct thqatits a std on early cars - sorry, my bad...however, when I went back, I'd use a bolt back there!

OP
wkilleffer

wkilleffer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Like Scott H said, just doublenut that stud (and it is a stud...bolts are on Stromberg cars) and remove it. I did this just a few weeks back on my '74BGT.

Alan T

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the plan. Wish me luck and hope there's enough room on the stud for two nuts.

Thanks,

OP
wkilleffer

wkilleffer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Backing the stud out was a success on the second try. Both manifolds are back on. Now, all I need is some heat shield material and some time to get it all back together.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
There ya go. Look what you learned to boot.

I know, is a pain.