• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Reluctant female passengers

TRnorwegian

I loved small British convertibles already as a teenager, and back then I suspected they pulled their weight when trying to attract interest from the opposite sex.
These days I still love these cars, recently bought myself a TR, but experience a growing concern for the lacking interest women seem to have for riding the passenger seat.
As a friend put it - "they're just like sailboats - great fun if you don't enjoy the presence of female company".

The main problem is probably modern, dull cars having become exceedingly comfortable, spoiling our women from enjoying the rattling noises and charming exhaust fumes from the bumpy, windy rides these vintage cars offer. They don't even like having their hair redone and blown in every possible direction.

Enthusiasts have tried to sugar the pill by installing various windshielding items, noise insulation mats, spicy perfume dispensers and additional interior mirrors.
Perhaps these are workable ideas, however a great portion of spouses will still be looking for excuses not to ride the TRs.

So perhaps one should consider some minor adjustments also to the alternative rides? For instance:

1. Never wash your modern car. Not even the interior.
2. Remove the circuit breakers to the A/C and radio.
3. Make sure all interior mirrors are broken.
4. Ensure passenger seat is jammed in a strange position.
5. Insert some shrimps into the ventilation system.
6. Fake roadside breakdowns every once in a while.
7. Always make sure the car is left on Empty.
8. Drill a couple of generous holes in the muffler.
9. Adjust the doors so they don't lock properly.
10. Detach the passenger wiper, ensuring a solid smudge is permanently blocking the view.
11. Add a silly bumper sticker to the rear (Honk if you're horny, my other car's a porsche, and such).

After all, choosing the right car when going somewhere together must be regarded a noble case?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I feel there's an easier, more direct way ... after a nice ride by yourself, casually mention meeting Olga (or some other, moderately exotic name) and how much she enjoyed riding in your Triumph. Then next time you go for a ride, "forget" to invite the SO.

If that doesn't get her interested in "riding shotgun", perhaps you should look for a real-life Olga ...

Leave em home! there will be a lot less screaming from the passenger seat on that double hairpin half way down the mountain.

mark

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
I dunno, she who is to be obeyed can't wait to ride in "our" car. Course she want's to drive it.
I like Randall's idea. Course THAT could lead to other complications, heh.

Tinkerman

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
How about asking them along to a ralley or other event?

Only use the TR to transport them to good dinners, shows, <span style="font-weight: bold">shopping</span> etc...

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
My wife encourages my hobby, but hates my cars :frown:

She has ridden in the MG precisely one time...

"Is is always this loud?"
"What's that smell?"
"Does the top go up?"
"I'm cold..."

A cute blonde at the gas station once asked me to pop the hood.
I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
TRnorwegian said:
"they're just like sailboats - great fun if you don't enjoy the presence of female company".

After all, choosing the right car when going somewhere together must be regarded a noble case?
TRnorwegian, your hangin around with the wrong chicks. my wife of norwegian desent, me too, thought i was nuts to sell my hobie for a 62 wood lightning. now i can hardly get it out alone. then she gave up her miata of 15 years for my 4a. true, she can't drive either worth a darn, but i think she enjoys both as much as i. and i get to drive. she is a noble woman to put up with me and actually enjoy it. not sure i could. too bad both the boat and car are on blocks right now. hum, wonder what we should do tonight?

Attachments

• 13848.jpg
    13848.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 713

AweMan

Jedi Knight
My wife encourages me to "Get it Running and drivable" and has NO problem with the money I have spent so far. And I have even told her truthfully how much it will cost to restore. { so has one of her male friends where she works that does some restoration work }. She has NEVER rode in or drove the car!
But I have a feeling it will be top up & side curtains on to get her to go with!
In any case when the car is done and drivable my youngest son will have to be physically removed by anyone wanting a ride! And God help em if they so much as smudge it with their fingerprints, he will want to rip their head off. :lol:
He has never rode in it either but I know he cant wait!

OP
TRnorwegian

TRnorwegian

Yeah. Also sold my Hobie way back, but still enjoy wooden boats. Can you trail your Lightning?

Generally no probs getting Wifie to accept these hobbies, but it's my sons at 17 - 20 who que up when it comes to actually driving or sailing. The downside of course being the odd mishaps - they recently killed my MC.

It's probably not wind factor, since she some years back used to steal a BMW convertible away from me whenever the sun shone. But this was of course a modern car.

When Top Gear reviewed the TR6, they underlined it being a "blokes car". They had actually never seen women drive one.
Is this true? Are female TR-drivers hard to find?

Anders

SANY0076v.jpg

tarpon23.jpg

T

Tinster

Nice batch of fish in the photo!
What type of fish are they and how do you
cook them??

I'm married to a Brit woman who drove in Brit cars
all her life. Not much desire on her part to drive in
my TR6.

Edit: Tarpon fishing can also be enjoyable.

d

CaraTarpon.jpg

OP
TRnorwegian

TRnorwegian

These. The small ones are mackrells and the others are cods. As for cooking, the mackrells, we usually fry them, and I suppose you know how to treat a good old cod :smile:

SANY0113b.jpg

SANY0090b.jpg

Country flag
Holy smokes! That second pic of the wood sailboat is gorgeous!! Any more??

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My partner has been very supportive of "the project," but has expressed some serious reluctance to ride in it. I believe the words "death trap" have actually been used. I let her drive it around the neighborhood about three weeks ago. She drove it like an old lady. What the heck... that's appropriate. She IS one. Part of the problem may be that I <span style="font-style: italic">don't</span> drive it like an old man. When the weather really warms, we'll see if there is any change of heart.

I did tell her about what happened when I drove it to my gig a couple weeks ago, and the club owner took one look at it sitting at the curb and said, "Oh my God! Will you leave her and marry me?" I gave her a ride between sets and she whooped the whole time. I do have to say that I think TRnorwegian is right. Women like that club owner are largely in the minority -- though they do exist...

OP
TRnorwegian

TRnorwegian

Scott_Hower said:
My wife encourages my hobby, but hates my cars :frown:

She has ridden in the MG precisely one time...

"Is is always this loud?"
"What's that smell?"
"Does the top go up?"
"I'm cold..."

A cute blonde at the gas station once asked me to pop the hood.
I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

Judging from the other cars she can choose from, you need to do some serious tampering with your BMWs to drag her away from them.

Popping the hood ...imagine having a pick-up line that worked as powerful the opposite direction. I certainly can't come up with any.

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
One of the membership here (I don't remember who) uses (used?) the sig line, "TR3s: crude, slow -- chicks love 'em." Judging from my experience, they like to <span style="font-style: italic">look</span> at them much more than they like to ride in 'em.

OP
TRnorwegian

TRnorwegian

Silverghost said:
Holy smokes! That second pic of the wood sailboat is gorgeous!! Any more??

Here's a few. Even including some females aboard my brother's boat. BTW, your runabout from '58 is exquisite! Must be fiberglass of a very early generation. Enginesize?

And to you others: Not my meaning transforming this forum, exchanging oil in your veins to salt water.

https://s427.photobucket.com/albums/pp354/honning57/TR6/?action=view&current=T9_000xw.jpg

https://s427.photobucket.com/albums/pp354/honning57/TR6/?action=view&current=_Juli04_122.jpg

https://s427.photobucket.com/albums/pp354/honning57/TR6/?action=view&current=SANY0047v.jpg