• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Redline MTL vs MT- 90

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hello all,
I am not sure what light brown oil is in my transmission now, and would like to replace it with Redline, which seems to be recommended.

I've read here that some use Redline MTL and some use Redline MT-90.

What's the difference?

I'd like to see if I can get my shifting a little smoother. Third gear mostly. (Let me be the first to say, hey maybe it's the user. Beat anyone to the punch line?)

Now to sway any opinons here, but....Dave, BCS recommends MTL. My local Healey mechanic recommends MT-90.

Also...after I drain the oil from the tranny and overdrive, do I need to flush the tranny with anything, or am I good to go with simply refilling with Redline. (4 quarts?)

roger

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
FWIW - I switched from 30wt oil to Redline MT-90, based upon recommendations from the gurus here.

The shifting is smoother. I seem to recall deciding, after looking at the Redline website, that MTL wasn't the appropriate product.

I also couldn't find any Redline product locally, so purchased on-line.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/savewave.gif

-Roger, MT 90; "Manual Transmission Lubricant".---Keoke- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
MTL is rated SAE 70W80, API GL-4 Gear Oil.

MT-90 is rated SAE 75W90, API GL-4 Gear Oil.

Unless you lived in a very cold climate, I would use the slightly heavier MT-90.
D

Country flag
I'm not sure if 4 qt is enough. I remember using more. Get extra. Worth the $ and the shipping is the same for the extra that you will need to top up. I love the stuff. You don't need to flush the old stuff, just drain and add. Be sure to check and clean the basket (behind the big brass cover) if you have had shifting problems.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
dar100 said:
I also couldn't find any Redline product locally, so purchased on-line.
If you have any Speed shops in your area, they probably carry it. Though local Speed shops seem to be dying out. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My screen was filled with a gunk that was difficult to clean. I soaked it in mineral spirits and cleaned it with a small stiff brush.

Was there a trick to making sure the OD got drained? I don't remember.