• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

recommendations for cleaning out carb gunk...

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I started dry fitting new parts to my HS6 last night as part of my rebuild process. While accessing the varies nooks and crannies, I found the float bowl is in dire need of cleaning.

Anyone have any recommendations for removing/cleaning out the gunk that can be left behind in a float bowl after all the fuel has evaporated?

Mineral spirits? Gas? "Carb Cleaner"?

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I'll be cleaning the stuff out with the carb completely stripped down to its component parts. No seals to worry about there.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
MEK or Acetone (these can melt plastic too!). Aerosol carb cleaner is a bit pricy but with the plastic "straw" it can be a great help with small tight places.

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I imagine one of them thar stainless steel dental pick/tools might come in handy too. Particularly for the bit of washer that I've found caught in the threads at the bottom of the float bowl.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Get your carb cleaner about four at a time, good for all kinds of stuff. Really works well.

CraigFL

Jedi Trainee
You may want to use toothpicks instead of dental tools. The dental tools may scratch the metal and leave slivers to break off...

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I couldn't wait to work on my carb last night. So, I snagged a bottle of nail polish remover from the grocery store while I was there.

It got the job done. Plus, my carb now has nice soft cuticles. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif

Centering the jet in was a bit trickier than I thought it would be. When I first put it in I thought I had a bent needle on my hands. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the jet needs to be adjusted/centered to allow the piston to move freely.

The only other 'tricky' part I had was removing the old jet hose/washer from the bottom of the float bowl. It was smooth sailing after that.

This weekend I'll be doing dry fit testing, and clearance checking. I know I'm going to have to reroute the throttle cable for this, I just hope the cable is long enough. I'm also going to need to mod the float bowl lid to accept a vent tube, so it vents to the charcoal canister.

Next week, I'll be spending time hand polishing this puppy... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

dklawson

Yoda
For reference next time, visit stores like Advance Auto and in their solvent section you'll find a "dip" can of carb cleaner by Gunk. It's a 1-gallon paint can with a perforated inner bucket in it. The solvent isn't as volatile as the stuff in spray cans. Disassemble your item (carb or otherwise) and leave its pieces in the inner bucket to soak for a while. After soaking you'll be able to blow the contiminants out of passageways. After soaking the parts I usually shake off the excess solvent, hose the item off with a garden hose spray nozzle, then blow them dry (in and out) with compressed air.

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
that one I did not know about. Thanks for the tip!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yes Nunyas, that is good advice. Similarly, there exists a solvent called "Parts Dip" by Berryman and others just toss the stripped down part in let it soak a bit then wash off it will be just like new---Keoke- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/yesnod.gif

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
Berrymans Chem dip. Comes in a white gallon can with a red and blue lable and has a basket to place your parts in. Killer stuff. Used it to clean up my pistons. I just let them soak for a bit then wiped them clean with no effort. You can see the before and after in this pic.

pic038.JPG

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And that works well.

dklawson

Yoda
Berrymans is good stuff. I choose Gunk only because Berryman's has a stronger smell that I don't like.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
dklawson said:
Berrymans is good stuff. I choose Gunk only because Berryman's has a stronger smell that I don't like.

Well I said there were others you could use so you be OK DK.--Keoke- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
Well, I ran by the parts store this AM, to get Water Wetter, and some other miscellaneous items to work on my car again this morning. While I was there I decided to snag a can-o-dat Gunk carb cleaner dip (I wasn't entirely happy with the finger nail polish remover (acetone) cleaning). I gotta say, that stuff was about 10 fold better. Although, it didn't remove the 30 y.o. carb-manifold paper gasket build up, but it did soften the stuff up enough to make removal a breeze with a box cutter.

That there HS6 is like shiny new. Well, not shiny, but most certainly ~a lot~ cleaner than it was before.

I haven't deployed the HS6 yet. Gonna order me one of them purdy filters from BCF sponsor SU-Filters.com, and deploy the carb the weekend after I get the filter.