• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rear Sway Bar - Needed?

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Found a 3/4" Rear Sway Bar for a good price. Just wondering what this will do to handling on my '68. Running stock sway bar up front, Peter C. shocks all around, front end has just been totally rebuilt, rear bushings replaced within the past few years. I do feel at times as if the rear end is going to come around on me when I push it hard. Just not exactly sure how a rear sway bar will help or hurt. I know I need to replace the 155/80 Sears special rubber that is now getting closeto 10 y.o. with something better. Lots of tire squeal when cornering hard. For the most part Bugsy is like on rails but always looking to make it better. Convince me I either need or don't need.

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The rear should come around on a hard corner.. or safer if the front plows..I've never heard of 3/4 for the rear..maybe thats why a great price..springs are a large part of the puzzle too.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I tried a 5/8" rear bar on my race car at an event years ago. Came in after a few laps and disconnected it. On my car it totally spoiled the handling balance.

Everyone's experience may be different on this, but it's <span style="text-decoration: underline">not</span> something I'd want.

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
yea, in our dreams we want to make a street car raceable on demand i.e.funkana's or more.. I've learned the hard way..it just ain't so... much cheaper to have two cars. One trailered and setup for racing on a smooth race surface (no pot holes) and one for cruising on a favorite back country road. For me the final straw was when with a front 3/4 sway up front, I hit a potter and the bar's right frame mounting piece peeled away rendering it useless. My welding guy was sorry to see me abandon the project

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
You should only run a rear sway bar if you have an oversized front bar.

Here are the general rules....

If you have oversteer (the rear end wants to come around, NASCAR term = Loose) you add a front sway bar, (put the bar opposite the problem end). If you have oversteer, (the front end plows, NASCAR term - Tight) you add a rear sway bar. Since Spridgets tend to oversteer, we add front bars, 9/16" being the size that gives most STOCK Spridgets BALANCE.

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
exactly, and when deviating from that basic setup you not only are talking sway bars but also an absolute must..add into the equation, shocks, springs and tires... oh well, we love these cars.. but turning donuts on country roads or worse isn't fun in my world any way

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
OK guys, this isn't something I'm going to add to Bugsy.

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
also keep in mine that you want your car to give you a heads up before it let loose hard like it is on ice. the sticker they are the faster they let loose with out warning

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Instant spins are not fun.