• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rear Shock Removal

wlivesey

I have seen instructions on how to top off shocks on the bench. My problem has been getting the shock off the car. I have removed the 2 bolts holding the shock to the chassis but have been unable to seperate the arm at the rubber bushing. I am afraid to force it not knowing the prpoer procedure. Can someone tell me the proper procedure for removing the rear shocks. Thanks
Bill
BT7

Wana

Jedi Hopeful
Bill, I just replaced the shocks on my BJ8. First, remove the nut and spring washer that secures the shock lever to the link arm. Then remove the two bolts that secure the shock body to the chassis. Now the shock will separate from the car with the link arm still attached to the shock. Once out of the car you can "tap" the tapered link pin out of the shock arm. Be sure to support the shock arm and by all means rethread the nut onto the link pin before you start "tapping" or you'll bugger the threads. Don't ask me how I know. If you suspect your shocks are leaking or have lost their effective dampening, I recommend you contact Peter C. at World Wide Auto Parts in Madison, WI. He rebuilds Armstrong shocks to better than new condition and guarantees them not to leak - ever. Good luck.

OP
W

wlivesey

Thanks Wana,
it seems like the shock arm does not want to seperate from the link arm. Should I be able to pry these apart?
Thanks
Bill
BT7

Wana

Jedi Hopeful
I had to whack mine pretty good, but it will eventually pop out. Make sure you're pounding from the threaded end because it is a tightly fit tapered pin. If you aren't planning to use the link arms (because bushing is worn out) you could try some penetrating oil... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
I may have used a 2 arm gear puller. Then again, the links may still be on the original shocks buried somewhere in the garage.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
A little heat goes a long way toward helping to remove stubborn tapered pins.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif Not on the shocks---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

bighly

Jedi Knight
Seems like I replaced the links as I could not kindly get them to come off.

PeterC

Jedi Warrior
Oh boy... I'm going to try this attachment thing.

Anyway, this picture shows where to strike the shock arm. With nut loosened, support and smack the arm perpindicular to the hole, or pin. You are trying to "oval" the tapered hole to "squeeze" the taper pin a little. You should not need the hit the threaded pin at all. Maybe a tap. But smack the arm in step 1 hard, several times. Leave the nut on loosely unless you're a gambler, ...and a good aim. (boy, I hope this works) Peter C.

Attachments

• 213381-DSC00588.JPG
    213381-DSC00588.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 114

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Hi Peter,

The attachment worked! I was wondering how the pros handled this job (and now that you mention it, used this technique on tie rod links many years ago). Thanks for sharing your expertise! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

Cheers,
John

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yeah Peter C, but for the problem stated I think Wana's solution is the best. Why beat it to death if you don't have to.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

PeterC

Jedi Warrior
Keoke, Wana used the same technique, I think. At least we discussed it when he got the shox. I can read his description that way.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Peter, as they say a false premise can lead to a true conclusion.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PeterC

Jedi Warrior
Hey, as a test, I just removed 2 links from 2 rear shocks. 1 minute 28 seconds for the pair. ... now, admittedly the were for a Bugeye.. LOL

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
yea mine might have taken 3 min total but I'm old and slow.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Hey, as a test, I just removed 2 links from 2 rear shocks. 1 minute 28 seconds for the pair. ... now, admittedly the were for a Bugeye.. LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

OK Peter, You Win---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
yea mine might have taken 3 min total but I'm old and slow.

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif
So is peter, I could have done it in half that time.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif