• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rear Diff Oil

Dudly

Jedi Hopeful
Hi All, Was just wondering what everyone is using for diff oil these days, and where is a common place I can score some. (ie where I won't have to special order it because it's made from the rendered fat of mountain bridge trolls, and only available in 2oz jars at $90.00 ea.)

Also has anyone been able to pick up a square drive wrench for plugs on the gearbox and diff. ?

Thanks for your help.

Happy Easter!!
HOP HOP

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I use GL4 that I get from the local NAPA store. Very good price.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I've been using Valvoline full synthetic for many years. It's readily available at most parts stores; sometimes even in Wal-Mart, etc.

Although it is rated GL5, it doesn't appear to use the sulfur-based additive that can attack yellow metal. I feel it provides better protection than a conventional GL4 and credit it with making my TR3A diff live as long as it has (it was already well-worn when I got the car in 1984, and has survived maybe 200,000 miles since then).

Rather than a square drive, I use an 8-point socket; available at Sears, Home Depot, etc. Using that, if the plug does break, it will break between the flats and the plug (indicating that a better grip would not help).

However, more recently I've been converting all my Triumphs to use hex-socket plugs (which I mail order from McMaster-Carr). Much easier to access in tight areas (like the gearbox fill on a Stag). They are hardened, so much less likely to round off; plus they are available in magnetic versions for drain plugs. And they don't stick out, to be hit by rocks or whatever thrown up from the road. Here a shot of the magnetic version, just added to a Stag diff.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
TR3driver said:
...And they don't stick out, to be hit by rocks or whatever thrown up from the road...

STC thoughtfully took care of that risk on the TR4 and later TRs by eliminating that pesky drain plug on the diff.

Since I didn't see it mentioned, Moss carries a wrench specifically for these plugs (made by TR enthusiast Joe A) though the 8-point socket Randall mentions is pretty fool-proof. Please do not use vise-grips unless you are planning a career a Jiffy-Lube.

Oh, I use GL-4 which I have always been able to find at one of the local shops (I think it was Pep Boys) -- I know the brand is Sta-Lube cause I just handled it yesterday.

GreenOne

It's funny that everyone seems to find GL4 locally, and you say it was at Pep Boys. I chewed up probably 4 hours last fall stopping at NAPA, Pep Boys, Advanced and several other local outlets and nobody had it !

Geo Hahn said:
TR3driver said:
...And they don't stick out, to be hit by rocks or whatever thrown up from the road...

STC thoughtfully took care of that risk on the TR4 and later TRs by eliminating that pesky drain plug on the diff.

Since I didn't see it mentioned, Moss carries a wrench specifically for these plugs (made by TR enthusiast Joe A) though the 8-point socket Randall mentions is pretty fool-proof. Please do not use vise-grips unless you are planning a career a Jiffy-Lube.

Oh, I use GL-4 which I have always been able to find at one of the local shops (I think it was Pep Boys) -- I know the brand is Sta-Lube cause I just handled it yesterday.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
NAPA carries Sta-lube. I bet it's at least in their store catalog. I had to wait a couple of days for it to get shipped to one of their stores, but a larger store in a nearby town keeps it on the shelves.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Geo Hahn said:
Stags too. I wasn't kidding when I said I'd just added that plug :laugh:

OP
Dudly

Dudly

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks guys I welcome all advice. I became paranoid re: my Diff after reading articles the past couple months in Hemmings sports and exotic. I have only one drip seeming right at the big seal, it really only produces a drip or so a month on the garage floor, can't account for what its doing on the road though.
I just read an article in Spitfire GT6 Mag where it suggested un-clogging the vent at the top of the Diff and that may cure the drip.

I'm going to the mitty end of the month Hahn, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they may have one of those wrenches at their tent.

thanks everyone, this is without a doubt the best place for a newbie like me to get good info.

Happy Easter everyone!!!

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Dudly, if you are having much of a leak it will show up under the car from where the wind spreads it around.
If you are at the Mitty, there'll be a few Triumph owners in the infield around Turn 5. I hope to be amongst them. :banana:

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
TR3driver said:
Geo Hahn said:
Stags too. I wasn't kidding when I said I'd just added that plug :laugh:
Same with the Small Car series (Herald, etc.). Leyland-Triumph must've saved a good tuppence per car in doing so! :laugh:

OP
Dudly

Dudly

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks Poolboy, I'll make my way over to turn 5. I can't wait for the Mitty. I'm finding it very hard to concentrate much on work. Just 17 days to go !!!