• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Re-Attaching Choke Cable to Pull...

noutlaw

Well this a.m. was starting my BJ8 - pulled the choke cable knob out, twisted to lock (worked fine)... then was starting it again - i guess i pulled too hard because the knob and metal piece came out of the dash...

So my question is - how to re-attach? From some other threads it sounds simple - - - ???

do I simply unhook it from the enginebay attachment point cable - push back up and "out" (not all the way) then somehow re-attach in the groove, then pull it back in and re-attach to the carb attachment?

It's tough to pull because one of my carbs cable is pretty hard to pull (i'll check on that next)... one is really easy.

Any help would be great.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi noutlaw, If the cable did not break you can reattach it to the pull. First in the engine bay disconnect it from the block.Now attach a long string on to it and pull it out from the dash side.Using a 1/16" drill open up the hole in the pull's shaft and drill one in its trough . Using a soldering iron tin both ends of the cable ,this tinning must be done cleanly.Now insert the cable in the pull shaft hole while heating it. Once the cable is back in the shaft add a bit of solder in the hole drilled in the trough.Reattach the cable to the string and pull it back through the cable and set the cable stop.---Fwiw---Keoke

OP
N

noutlaw

does it make sense that the cable (it appears) used to go straight into the shaft? maybe i could simply drill straight into it and then solder it back straight in?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yep, it sure did noutlaw, and thats what the instructions say to do--Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OP
N

noutlaw

got it - I read it wrong, but now it makes complete sense. Darn - I was hoping for a hammer related task... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

One More question - is the cable a specific diameter size? e.g. to get a new one...

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yep, if you want to replace the cable use the same procedure I outlined, but go to a bicycle shop and buy a replacement brake/gear shift cable ,Just the wire cable, to make the repair.---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif