• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Radius arm bushings

dancrim

Jedi Hopeful
Has anyone replaced the bushings in the radius arms. Any tricks to removing the old ones and pressing the new ones in? Also,do you have to pull the rear end back to get the arms out?

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
dancrim said:
Has anyone replaced the bushings in the radius arms. Any tricks to removing the old ones and pressing the new ones in? Also,do you have to pull the rear end back to get the arms out?
My car is completely dismantled undergoing a restoration from the gound up so I don't know about having to pull the rear end to replace those bushings, but I used a press and an old bushing to remove the 4 old bushings and to install the new ones. I did take some fine grit sandpaper to cleanup the surface for the bushings to slide in easier.
Go slow and get an extra set of hands to help and you shouldn't have too much problem installing the bushings. If you have a machine shop close by, you could have them do it.
The hardest part of removing the old bushings is when they are frozen in place over the years. I did remove a bushing back in '74 but I was also changing a broken spring too. I greased the bushing bolts on all of them when I did this and it only took me a few minutes to remove them when I dismantled my car. The same goes for the front bushings. A little bit of grease or anti-sieze works wonders down the road.
Patrick

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
dancrim said:
If you're talking about the rear leaf spring bushings they can be a real problem. Usually you have to cut the bolts off and remove them with the springs. There's a metal sleeve inside them that rusts to the bolts.

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
This is a job that I left to the guys with the hydraulic press and the appropriate accessories. Small investment, perfect result. You can do it in a two stage process, getting the old busings out first, bead blast the radius arms, then prime and paint. Take the shiny arms back to get the new bushings pressed in.

Genos2

Jedi Trainee
Johnny,he's talking about radius rod bushes, on the Phase 2, they mount above the leaf spring & connect to a pocket in the inner apron.Old bushings can either be cut or pressed out. Not that difficult,I agree, I would paint or powder coat the arm before installing new bushes. Genos2

OP
D

dancrim

Jedi Hopeful
Guess I'll make some pressing dies on the lathe and beg or borrow a press.
I'm hoping this will cure my "jerk to the right" problem when hard shifting
No pun intended.

Genos2

Jedi Trainee
Harbor freight has inexpensive bushing press arbor kits, I got one & it works well. Also old bearing races &seal installers work well,no point in building arbors for a one time use,unless your bored. Merry Christmas to all-Genos2