• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Question regarding the forum

MGTDDreamer

Freshman Member
My favorite car of all time is the MGTD. I own a Kit car of this model. Is this an appropriate place for me to be? Or is this forum for the really fortunate that have the real thing?

Thanks

G

welcome aboard, you aren't the only one here with a kit car. last long enough you'll get the serious bug and have the real thing
cheers.gif

Bret

Yoda
iagree.gif

Agreed! I own a 78 Rubber Bumper, so I’d be the last person to turn-up his nose or point discerning finger. Believe me it’s not such a big deal. our local club has two or three VW powered kit cars.

Welcome to the forum.
cheers.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Welcome, Ed....I'd love to see a photo of your car...who made it? What type engine?...if its `a front engine car, maybe we can put an MGB engine in it!

bryan h

Hello and welcome! I have a 76 B that has gone through the entire range of metamorphosis, chrome conversion, etc., and now a V6. Wow. is this a kit car now? Anyway, like Chuck said, stick around!

A

aerog

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MGTDDreamer:
My favorite car of all time is the MGTD. I own a Kit car of this model. Is this an appropriate place for me to be? Or is this forum for the really fortunate that have the real thing?

Thanks
<hr></blockquote>

if you're interesting in the "real thing" then absolutely this is the right place to be (although discussion about kit cars might be better left in the "other cars" sub forum).

I don't know if there are any other replica owner/drivers out there or not - but I've got one too and have been driving the heck out of it for the past week! It even lived in some oddball place called Gurley Alabama most of it's life. For some reason that place is associated with MGs so... nevermind (nudge nudge Tony)
smile.gif

By the way - mine's a 1975 Daytona Migi built in Edgewater FL by the factory, supposedly as a demo car. Chassis is a 1969 VW Beetle, the only modifications I've done is to upgrade the oil cooler and fan/shroud to the larger/later versions. It gets driven a lot when the weather isn't too hot or cold, the longest trip I've done in it was somewhere between 12 and 14 hours on the way back from Alabama (taking all kinds of backroads, wasn't close to an efficient route but it was fun).

P2160482540.JPG

-- Scott (MG Forum moderator)

[ 10-15-2003: Message edited by: aerog ]</p>

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Welcome aboard! As long as the real thing is your favorite car, then I think you're ok here! Some of the replicas are pretty darn realisatic looking (at least to my untrained eye)

Basil

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Welcome!
I think some of the most enthusiastic folks here don't own *any* Brit-car (replica, or otherwise).
The great thing about a replica is that you can really enjoy it without worrying that it belongs in a museum. You can tell that Scott drives his often....some of the owners of "real" MGTs that I know, only take their cars out on trailers! And I'll add to Basil's comment....I think that certain replicas are "as good" or even better than the real thing (particularly some of the Cobra replicas).
I was lucky enough to get a ride in a Ford GT40 last week....it was a replica, and I sure wasn't complaining!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Mickey - the link took me to a page where I can search for cars for sale, not the one about the replicar...however, bet somebody could yank that Ford stuff & put MGB right in!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Yeah, I just tried it, and got the same thing. If you follow the "classifieds" link, then "vehicles", then "antique & classic", you should find it. If anyone's interested, I'd be glad to get them the ph. #. Asking price is $4500.

Dennis P

Jedi Hopeful
Hello, Could not locate either. If you can provide tel# would be greatful. Always wanted TD or TF replica. Thanks

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Here's the ad, as it appears in the paper:

Kit car, fiberglass, '52, MG-LTD Replica, 2300CC bobcat engine & running gear, white w/ red interior, $4500 obo (931)648-2213

A

aerog

There are a lot of front-engine TDs with bobcat (aka Pinto) stuff in it, and they seem to be pretty good machines if they're set up properly. Some of them look better than others though. I've seen a couple of front-engine replicas at shows that almost resembled a TD if you used your imagination, while others were really good knockoffs
smile.gif

StevenA

Jedi Trainee
Like everyone else said in various ways... Welcome. Enjoying MG or any LBC is what we are all about. We discuss very frustrating things here mostly concerning either Lucas, Gremlins in the engine, How to do things we don't really want to do, and occasionaly how much fun it is to drive an LBC or an LBC replica. I have a few LBCs but wish I had a replica to play with too. Maybe the replica would get to and from the grocery store without a rebuild.
welcome, Steve
PS The best replica I have ever seen was from a So. Cal company who made Jag E-type replicas that were soooo nice and looked so original (I think they were over a Corvette or some full Chevy frame) with gorgeous red leather interior, full wire wheels, 15+ coat paint, hood ornament, and reproduction of knobs and other accessories, etc... Hmmm, wow, I need to go relax and have a cigarette after that.