• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

question regarding import from CUBA

soren_ak

Jedi Hopeful
do the usa still have some form of cargo/embargo (or whats it called when u dont trade/sell to someone) - ??

Imagine that there culd be some nice cars on cuba that is affordebele and nice ???
anyone know anything ?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
To the best of my knowledge, Cuba doesn't allow the importation of cars outside the country.

This is actually quite common worldwide in some other countries as well, I believe India has the same rule among other countries.

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Cuba does not allow cars to be exported.

Bruce

pmenhusen

Jedi Trainee
While there are certainly some interesting American-made '50's cars in Cuba, most of them have been cobbled up to the point where they would only be good for parts. Many have been converted to run on alternative fuels, or have parts replaced with anything that would work from whatever salvage was available, since they haven't been able to import US replacement parts since the early '60's.

pmenhusen

Jedi Trainee
Regarding the trade embargo, this applies to US citizens and corporations doing business with Cuba. It is my understanding that the only trade that is allowed is a limited amount of food and medicine. Cuba does trade on a much larger scale with most of the rest of the world. The embargo where US warships stopped and searched vessells coming to or going from Cuba ended at the end of the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1963, I believe.

Bret

Yoda
That is correct. US firms and citizens are still restricted from doing direct business with the communist state unless it is humanitarian related. In addition to the trade embargo & sanctions with Cuba, US citizens are prohibited by law from traveling to Cuba without expressed permission from the US state department. However this doesn’t seem to stop some US travelers from going there anyway and just don’t get their passports stamped.

There has been talk for years now about lifting those restrictions that have existed since the “heat” of the Cold War. But personally I don’t know if we’ll ever really see these sanctions lifted until that cigar smoking dictator’s body reaches room temperature or somehow the people of Cuba wise up & remove from power.

That'll be a happy day indeed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
My understanding is that an American can fly to a neutral country, then enter Cuba from there.

Politics aside... Cuba is a great car spotting place to visit, I haven't been yet but here is a sample of Cuban car pictures from off of Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/search/tags:cuba%2Ccar/tagmode:all/ I know a few Canadians who have vacationed in Cuba, some to the non-touristy areas where the fantastic old cars are plentiful

Bret

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
My understanding is that an American can fly to a neutral country, then enter Cuba from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I guess things have changed a bit. But if you read the State Departments web page on travel, you will find that US citizens traveling to & from Cuba is “strictly” regulated and you actually need the permission of the US Treasury Department to do so.

Here is an excerpt from the US State Department’s web site under the travel warnings section:

[ QUOTE ]
“CUBA - *Passport and visa required. For specific requirements, consult the Cuban Interests Section, 2630 16th St., NW, Washington, DC 20009 (202/797-8518). AIDS test required for those staying longer than 90 days. Attention: U.S. citizens need a U.S. Treasury Department license in order to engage in any transactions related to travel to and within Cuba (this includes the use of U.S. currency). Before planning any travel to Cuba, U.S. citizens should contact the Licensing Division, Office of Foreign Assets Control, U.S. Department of Treasury, (202/622-2480) or www.treas.gov/ofac.”

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes Cuba would be a rich & wondrous place to visit from all that I have read & seen. Moreover from the American Cubans I have met, worked with and many while they wore our countries uniforms – I’d say that the people & culture are just as great.

Could US citizens get to Cuba via a third country (ie Mexico or some other nation) and get away with not reporting it? Sure they could. But is it worth the possible unpleasant ramifications should the goverment find out about your trip?

For more reasons not to go to Cuba while it remains unchanged read the Consular information report on Cuba found on the US State Departments web site.
Consular report on Cuba

But in the current scheme of things I personally don't think that traveling to Cuba would be the smartest thing you would want to do. So unless you have business traveling there & expressed permission to do so, US citizens should honor their country’s laws & wishes, by not spending US dollars in a totalitarian police state.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A very grey area but it is done and has been from my area in the Caribbean.

Bruce