• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Question on brake line

jackq

Jedi Knight
Country flag
While changing out my master cyl. on my 57 A coupe my brake line(approx 55 inches) broke at the fitting into the cylinder. Have searched this town and no results...big shock as if it isn't a truck or a low-rider...they don't have it. Any thoughts as to a source?? Thx.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Gah. Hate it when that happens. Is the ferrule ("gland nut") still useable? If 'twer mine, I'd be goin' to NAPA for some Bundy pipe of the same length/O.D. and bend up a new one. Bubble flair the ends using the old fittings.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
DrEntropy said:
Gah. Hate it when that happens. Is the ferrule ("gland nut") still useable? If 'twer mine, I'd be goin' to NAPA for some Bundy pipe of the same length/O.D. and bend up a new one. Bubble flair the ends using the old fittings.

Doc, Don't mean to hijack this post, just one question. Where can I get a bubble flaring tool and how is it done? PJ

dreamer1uk

You can loan the Metric and SAE flaring tools at must autoparts stores. Autozone loans theres out tor about $15. There very easy to use and im sure you can find a 'How to...' online :smile: Most flaring tools will come with instructions so you can practice on old line if needed.

Id also recomend using the correct flare wrenchs also when working with brake line fittings :smile:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've got my flaring tools from Snap-On and/or NAPA. There's a "kit" of anvils made just for the bubble flare. It can take some practice to get it right, the biggest single "trick" is to deburr the end of the tubing after cutting using a small round "Swiss" file. Get a good smooth edge both O.D. & I.D. and the flare won't split. IOW, remove any sharp edges to reduce the chance of a stress riser. The "kit" has a fair explanation with it (usually) and ISTR there's a really good, thorough explanation how-to if you do a bit of "Gooling". The one I'm recalling may even be on Tony's site. Can't say fer sure, tho.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
+1. Look at the Eastwood web site. They offer a flaring set-up similar to mine. Do not purchase a cheap tool, as it will produce out of shape flares. I do agree that most fittings can be re-used in a bind....but inspect they for cracks and miss shape at the end near the flare. Over tightening, etc from years of use produces this. I use new fittings every time.
Cheers,
D.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I wuz presupposing a proper visual inspection before re-use. :wink:

OP
jackq

jackq

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Shock...walked into the last parts tore in town....Auto Zone..held up my master cylinder and asked if they had a line to fit it...old geezer( like me) says..."MG"?? We walk in the back and there was the tube rack..British flags attached to a few...had what I needed ..I'm still in shock. I'll post the name and part numbers of what they have...sure saved some trouble.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol: Great score, Jack!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
we went through similar at my local Canadian Tire, my young salesman and I measured and approximated the size of a fan belt - took it home and it didn't fit. Took it back, the older lady salesperson says, "MG?" let's look it up - in the computer and in stock! Sheesh, sometimes simpler really is better, who knew?

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Lucky man. Out here in Messico, all they stock are chrome wheel covers and boom boom radios and speakers!
Cheers,
D.