• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Pulling the motor from the Bugeye

VelodromeRacer

Jedi Trainee
Well,
Because Hap is such a keen guy, I am going to need to pull the 948/stock gearbox and replace the gearbox with a Taylor box. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I have pulled the engine on my BJ8 and for that matter my 1968 sprite, but I have not pulled the engine on the Bugeye before. I have a front tilt bonnet and know it will have to come off. Any other advice? I figure to replace the motor mounts, but I wonder if a better mount is out there than stock for the racer?

Any tips for a painless removal/install?

OP
VelodromeRacer

VelodromeRacer

Jedi Trainee
I have the stock box/gears in it now and figured they wern't much longer for the world...the Taylor box just seemed like the deal vs me finding a change to straight cut gears.

Thanks for the link, I did some searching but missed that.
You racing any VSCDA events or are you set up for SCCA?
I still love the pic in your profile, I guess arm restraints were in order?

Bugeye58

Yoda
I'm currently set up to run our local club track, Waterford Hills. It's the perfect Sprite track, with 14 turns in a mile and a half.
I told the SCCA to bag it this year, as I got tired of their constant rule changes, and increasing fees.
I may run some VSCDA stuff in a year or so, but in its current configuration the car wouldn't be vintage legal. Probably be cheaper to build another car rather than try to make this one acceptable to the VSCDA.
I've been thinking of maybe running with the Midwest Council, too.
Jeff

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ahhhh, what is a Taylor Box ( tranny )?

Ducks head in shame.

Bugeye58

Yoda
It's a racing box, Jack, using Webster or Hewland straight cut gears, with either synchro or dog ring engagement. The gearsets allow for a huge range of ratios to be selected to tailor the tranny for different tracks. Somewhere in the $3500~$4000 price range, if I remember correctly.
Jeff

bugimike

Yoda
If you have pulled the engine from your 68 Spridget, the BE is very similar, only easier!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thank you Jeff. That was new to me.

jlaird said:
Ahhhh, what is a Taylor Box ( tranny )?

Dog engagement on the gears, the box is modified to accept the Webster/Hewland gears, the stock Spridget case to be off center bored for it all this to work, they also imploy a hydraulic throw out bearings. Current pricing on them from Taylor is $5500 before REMing which is a another $600.
Jack the cool thing about a Taylor dog box is you literally have hundreds of gear ratios to choose from, my first geear is 1.60, meaning when you go into that slow corner on the race track where your rpms would fall below your powerband with other gear boxes you can use first gear and keep the engine on the powerband, a big time advantage, also you can stack the ratios very close, it only loses about 300 rpms between gear shifts, oh and once you get rolling using a clutch for gear shifts (up or down) is totally optionable.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And thank you Hap. Sounds like a good tool.