• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

pulling the harmonic balancer

healeyboz

Jedi Knight
Is it possible to pull the harmonic balancer off of the front of the motor by just releasing the front motor mounts? I need to get passed the steering rack part of the frame and I can't tell if the angle is going to be enough.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Not so sure. The race guys cut out that crossmember then beef up the other side of it so they can do just that.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'll be, hmmmm. Can you then get the timeing chain cover off?? I should think so.

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
If removing the harmonic balancer is the same as removing the crank pulley on a 1098, (which it should be, as your accessing the same bolt)....AND if its easier in a BE than a Square body, ... .

the procedure on a Square Body is

Drain and remove the radiator. ..
Loosen the TWO motor mounts...
Put a Floor jack under the engine and jack it up
You can now get a pneumatic impact driver onto the 1 5/16" nut!...
Installation is the reverse procedure!

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Air compressor and impact wrench is the only way I've ever been able to get harmonic balancer fastners off. Just remember to tap the lock tab piece flat before attacking it with the wrench.

OP
healeyboz

healeyboz

Jedi Knight
Check, check and check. I have a pretty nasty leak coming from what I believe is the rubber seal behind the "crank pulley" (thanks for helping me think that one out Hap). Proper installation of the seal and centering it correctly on the pulley before tightening down the timing cover is on order for tomorrow. Don't mind a bit of oil leaking from her, just don't like a gusher!! Trying to find the leak on a freshly rebuilt motor is hard enough, hate to see how hard it would be after a few years of leaking.

Finding the source of the leak I believe should show signs of wetness. The areas that I am finding that feel more gel like to the touch might have just been blown around or were older leaks that I fixed in the spring and have collected road dirt and such. I think....

Got the rad pulled and the oil drained. Pulled the fan. Just waiting for the fun stuff tomorrow. I sure do hope this stops the leaking and I can stop pulling the radiator for awhile!! :frown:

Then, finding out why she seems to be vapor locking or whatever will be the next bug to work out. I actually think it might be a poorly ventilated fuel tank instead of vapor lock. I know others are dealing with a similar issue and I look forward to seeing progress on the other threads.