• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

pulled my motor today!

zimmy

Jedi Knight
turns out my starter was stuck from some grindage
on my ring gear .....there is a ring gear correct?
my throw out bearing comes apart....shouldnt it be 1 piece?
my clutch cover looks like new stangely...can it be reused?
i hope........
my clutch isnt rusty at all......i think my problem was the throw out...anyone agree?
i cant believe how friggin heavy that motor is either! geez!
lotta excitement removing it ; )
it was gettin dark so i didnt get to investigate too much....more info later..........zimmy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif

any tips on removing the gearbox now?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thorow out bearing is one peice. Well carbon bonded to steel or late model a real bearing but one peice.

Clutch cover?? We talking pressure plate here?? Yep can reuse that if not torn up. Clutch disk is also reuseable if not worn real bad, should be maybe 1/16 to 1/8 material above the rivets, ie the rivets are reset.

Gear box easy, one man job, 6 mount bolts, connection for spedo and the line for the clutch cyl. Don't forget to remove the shift leaver inside, three bolts, under it are a spring and a nylon thingee.

To put it back in will take pulling the prop shaft if you are going to do it your self, 4 bolts there.

Morris

Yoda
Way to go Zimmy.

In the immortal words of Bo and Luke, "Yeeeeeee-Hawwwww!"

Country flag
Jimmy, do you have a means to attach photos? If you could get us pictues of the situation, we might be able to spot anything unusual and help get you back running sooner.

77_MG_Midget

Jedi Trainee
I just replaced my clutch and throw out bearing, so just a few thoughts that may help you. When removing the clutch release lever, you'll have to tap out the pivot pin. Check the bushing that goes inside the lever and the bushings in the bell housing (Parts #46 & #48 in the moss parts diagram https://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=33010 ). Mine were badly worn and needed replacing. The throw out bearing is pressed onto the release bearing sleeve. It should come apart fairly easily with some gentle taping. When reassembling, DO NOT 'tap' it back on, you can screw up a new throw out bearing. PRESS IT onto the bearing. Best of luck!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Zimmy - my granddad gave me a sage bit of advice when I tackled my first engine rebuild (on my bedroom floor, on my mom's white sheets - but thatr's another story)....it was:

If you open it, replace everything that's wearable; if you don't you will anyway - sooner than later!

Toss everything related to the clutch (clutch disc, throwout bearing, pressure plate) & go new while you've got it out.

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif You don't want to have to pull it again anytime soon. I replaced all the clutch parts when it was just a bad release bearing on my car. You won't save much if you only do part of the clutch. 77, Zimmy has a 1275, not a 1500.

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Oh, and congrats on getting it out Zimmy. Hopefully the clutch fix works, and you'll be on the road soon.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
...and a wee bit of advance notice: join engine and tranny on the floor in front of the car! Put 'em in as a unit. Sounds UGLY but if you go for the "other way" it'll take MORE time and be a frustrating experience to boot.

RENT an engine crane!

77_MG_Midget

Jedi Trainee
[ QUOTE ]
77, Zimmy has a 1275, not a 1500.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I know Zimmy's is a '74. But the clutch release fork bushings are the same, as well as how the release bearing attachs to the release bearing sleeve.

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hmm... I can't confirm that. Moss doesn't show the same parts for the 1275 release bearing. They also call out different part numbers for the release arm bushing.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
948 and 1275 clutch forks are different but made the same.

77_MG_Midget

Jedi Trainee
Yes, I'd assume that the part numbers are different, but my point is, the clutches still function the same way between the 1275's and the 1500's. They both have bell housing bushings, a clutch fork bushing, the clutch fork is retained the same way and the release bearing is pressed onto a release sleeve. Different part numbers, all the same functionallity.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Exactly right.

Bugeye58

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I know Zimmy's is a '74. But the clutch release fork bushings are the same, as well as how the release bearing attachs to the release bearing sleeve.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, apples and oranges. The A series throwout bearing has two lugs that are held into the release fork by clips. The bearing isn't pressed onto anything. The pivot bushings are different animals, as are the throwout forks.
As far as functioning the same, yes they do. When you step on the pedal, the clutch disengages.
Jeff

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You misunderstood or I did not explain well, the throwout bearing in Bugs, etc is a cast iron thing, a cup kind of with a couple of ears on it and the carbon bearing surface is cast in, pressed in or something, anyway two parts made and sold as one. Yep bronze bearing in the clutch fork. Seem to remember I had a roller bearing throwout bearing at one time as well, maybe a 1275 one??

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Bugeye is correct, the release bearing isn't pressed on the way the 1500 bearing is. I've got the Haynes book and the diagrams Moss shows which confirm this. Yes, the release bearings serve the same function, and yes, the release arm has bushings which need to be replaced, but the bushings are not the same part numbers, and you don't need a press to replace the release bearing since the carbon block and holder are sold as one.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Jack, I was quoting John, not you. 1500 clutch throwout forks and bearings are totally different than the A series variants. The 1500 bearing is pressed on a carrier that is a fairly close fit over a pilot sleeve on the input shaft. I just wanted to clarify the differences, not to be a wise A--.
Incidentally, I run roller throwout bearings in most all of mine. 948's, 1098's, and 1275's.
Jeff

77_MG_Midget

Jedi Trainee
[quote
Nope, apples and oranges. The A series throwout bearing has two lugs that are held into the release fork by clips. The bearing isn't pressed onto anything. The pivot bushings are different animals, as are the throwout forks.
As far as functioning the same, yes they do. When you step on the pedal, the clutch disengages.
Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, now I'm soooo......confused. Looking at the Moss part numbers for a 1500 midget, '71-74 gearbox, and a '75 and on gearbox, the release bearing, bushings, pins, etc are all the same part numbers, and they show the '71-74 gearbox as having a release bearing sleeve. So if Zimmy's is an "A" series, it's not the original tranny for the car?

Bugeye58

Yoda
John, if that's the case, there is a serious flaw in the Moss catalog. All I have here is a 1998 book, and they are showing it correctly, ie, two totally different systems. One section of the page for 948---1275, and another for the 1500.
All of the Spridgets were powered by the A series through the 1974 model year. From '75 until the end of production, they shared the 1500 engine and tranny with the Spitfire.
If I had a digital camera, I'd run out and take pictures of both setups, but I don't have one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Jeff