• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Project Up-date - Body ID Tags - Success

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Project Update - Body ID Tags - Success

I have been working on this project for some time now. I have tried a number of methods, but until recently, the results have been disappointing. I believe that this latest tag is a faithful reproduction of the original. I am using .020 brass stock and an 80 - year old embossing machine that I found at an auction.

Cheers, Frank
New_Brass_Tag.jpg

NewandOld.jpg

Gwilhelm

Re: Project Update - Body ID Tags - Success

DANG close!!! Pretty impressive!! If you didn't have the old tag next to it, I wouldn't of known the difference... I can see some slight font differences but that probably cannot be changed with the embossing machine. Again, when no original is present who would recognize a font difference.... The concurs judges probably wouldn't....

Good JOB!!!
I might need those when I'm near finished with my Tr3.... Will you be selling the tags?

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker

Nice job of tackling the project head-on!

OP
angelfj1

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Nice job of tackling the project head-on! [/QUOTE]

Yes, and my head has many, many dents from those projects that did not pan out!

But, yes thanks, I am pleased with the results.

OP
angelfj1

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag

Your correct, the font is a little different, but very close. I searched all over, including the USA, Canada, India, China and the U.K. for this "technology". It seems that anyone younger than about 40 didn't understand what I was talking about or ever heard of embossing. The primary users of this method of identification system used to be foundries. They would make an embossed tag (reversed) and embed it into the sand so that the finished casting had an ID number which was "proud" of the surface. Also, some electric utilities still use embossed tags for marking telephone poles. There are new machines available, but the fonts are too modern looking and they are expensive, approx. $3500. I even tried making my own dies from bondo. This is tricky because each character needs a pair of dies, one above and one below the metal "tape". They actually worked but not for long. I was very close to giving up, and then like most things in life, I found this old embossing machine when I wasn't looking for it. I was out with my wife looking at antique furniture. There was an estate auction nearby. The family had owned and operated an old foundry since before WWII. I was looking in the bottom of an old china cabinet and saw the embosser. Had to buy the cabinet to get it. Don't ask me what I paid!!! If you thought that sports cars were expensive, you should see what they want for a broken down piece of original early American furniture. But, that's another story /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

How about a price? Those look really good!

Don Elliott

Obi Wan

Frank sent me a new set of number plates for my TR3A in brass. I plan to still use the original EB number plate because it's still so good. But for the past 16 years, I have used a big number plate that a local TR friend gave me from a TR he scrapped. My original one (the lower one) got corroded and eaten away by the battery acid. The one I have been using looked good but it didn't have the correct number. It wasn't the right number as per my Heritage Build Record. Because it looked good, no judges ever deducted points for it in concours events. But now I have the right number stamped out by Frank and I plan to install it when my shell comes back from the re-spray. I had to drill a new hole to the right side of the new brass number plate and trim off about 1/2". Also I had to slot the hole at the left end so it would fit the existing original holes.

Frank seems to have overcome this now.

Thanks Frank

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

I did a similar project when I had my door jambs repainted, but this was pad printed by a friend.

I know that it's not factory stamped, but I'll never be concours, so it doesn't matter to me. I just like the looks of this better.

Yes, I did keep the original plate.

Paint Shop 045 (Custom).jpg

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

pad printed??

Tomster

Jedi Knight

There is one company in the States who embosses brass repair tracking number tags for radiator shops. These tags are soldered directly onto the repaired rads.

BUT your machine has a far more interesting origin!

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

The ink is put on via computer layout and through a pad application process, then baked on for durability.

That's how the entire layout was done on the replacement plates originally and the areas for the VIN, color, trim and build dates are left blank. I just had him do the same with the details.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin

Gracias!

I think....

griff

The tag looks great. Just wondering, have you tried to roll one out after embossing? If you had some way to press them a bit it may widen the font and reduce the ripples at the same time?

Griff

OP
angelfj1

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag

I've had a number of requests for pricing of these tags. I need to work out a few details, but I believe they will be somewhere in the $40 range, free shipping. This will get you a pair of tags in .020 brass. I am thinking I will supply these w/o drilled holes and a bit longer (you can easily trim them) because of the variation between cars. I will also be offering embossed tags, in brass or aluminum, for your TR tool box or anything else you would like to identify. More on this later. Until I have my web page up and running, please contact me by private message or at my email address: trtags@comcast.net

Thank you, Frank

PeterK

Yoda

Hi Frank,

My 3A only has one brass EB body tag. While I would love a repro EB tag for it, why would anyone want a pair of EB tags? How 'bout an EB tag and that-other-number tag on the firewall?

OP
angelfj1

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag

Sorry. I should have stated that more clearly. The price would include two tags; the EB tag and the Muliners tag. Or if you wish I can supply only the Muliners tag, which is the lower tag closest to the battery and most likely to have been damaged or destroyed by acid fumes.

PeterK

Yoda

Thanks Frank. That make more sense. Now to figure the appropriate Muliner's number (that-other-number) for my car as both tags are gone from a battery tray replacement long ago.

Peter