• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Pretty much a disaster.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I started to piant my car today. Prepared everything and sprayed the new sealer over the primer and it looked pretty good except for a couple runs. I sanded all that out and checked the car over and wpied it down and painted the black sills after taping them off. That went pretty well, will one little run under where the letters go. Then I taped over the black and started applying the mettalic yellow. Had put one coat on and was putting on the second and trying to cover any zebra stripes, etc and I noticed wrinkling in the paint, then more, and more. I stopped painting and cleaned everything up and got real upset. I have no idea what went wrong, but it was an expensive lesson. I mentally prepared myself because I knew my knee would hurt me doing this and I thought I had it all worked out. I don't know what I'm gonna do now. Got to go with the wife to WV this weekend to see her folks. First time staying out of town in a year or something due to my disability. Maybe it will do me good. Don't want to even look at the car right now.

neilh

Incompatible paint types, like enamel over acrylic will cause the paint to ripple - if they are very incompatible one will strip the other off back to the base!
Check the composition of both to be sure they can mix.
Just my 2c worth...

bugimike

Yoda
neil is right Kim. You have paint and primer of differing types. You can, for example, paint enamel over laquer, but you cannot paint laquer over enamel!! The same is true with acrylics, urethanes etc. I hope you have been consistent with the type of primer you have been using! When in doubt as to compatibility, try a little test piece first to see how it works!! Also make certain that adequate cure times for the type of paint is adhered to, otherwise problems will arise as well! I will try to reprint a guide to painting problems: causes and remedies that I have! Check your PMs Kim!

Country flag
Or... improper activator in the sealer.

BWillis

Jedi Knight
Or you havent followed the manufacturers guidelines for proper flash time. But my first guess would be incompatible bottom and top coats. Did you buy your supplies from the same supplier? If so I would consult them first.

HTH

OP
regularman

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
The people I got the basecoat from do not make or sell primer. I used an estch primer and then a 2k fill primer and then a 2k sealer. Some places did well and other places krinkled up. I'm just sick about the whole thing right now.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
And while others can give you better paint advice than me - unless there is an advantage to removing any paint before it sures - just walk away for awhile - I can't imagine anything more discouraging at this stage. sorry.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Kim, besides walking away as you have. Stop by your paint dealer and see what they have to say.

Country flag
In the spirit of bringing some levity to an unpleasant situation, MAYBE what happened is that your car actually was channeling the ghosts of Mister Lucas, et. al. to say it really didn't like the color scheme and would you please change your mind to something else?? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

As the others have already said, just walk away for a bit.....

bugimike

Yoda
Kim, I tried to email a troubleshooting guide to you but it was undeliverabe...your mailbox is full!!

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
Kim I was doing my usual puruse on ebay and saw this listing...my immediate reaction was "he was really frustrated"...I thought you just said heck with it and put her up for sale...Then I realized you are in NC not TEXAS and lsited under Spridget...the JUST PAINTED comment in the ad and YELLOW coler had me going!!!

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/67-MGB-GT...1QQcmdZViewItem

Hang in there!!