• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

power under acceleration

TomFromStLouis

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
This has happened a couple times recently, so it is time to ask. The car is plenty warmed up and sputters when accelerating hard in second or third gear, especially near the higher revs. The throttle is at or near the floor and the engine seems to miss just a few times, enough to keep from maximizing acceleration but not enough to keep from gaining speed. I recently had the carbs tuned and in many ways they work better than ever, but perhaps I have a fuel/air mixture issue? or is it something inside the engine itself? What would you look at? Thanks in advance - I appreciate all input!

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Sounds like this issue can be traced to the ignition at first suspect. I would do a full tune and check that the timing is set correctly, point gap, coil, cap, rotor, Plugs and wires...ect. Check for any loose ignition connections as well. However if you upgraded with a electronic ignition then I would defiantly check it out. The carbs would be my next thing to check, float level and mixture setting and dirty fuel filter.

johnea

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I have had similar symptoms twice: misfiring at higher revs. It turned out to be the condensor sitting somewhat loose on the base plate in the distributor.

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
These are all good suggestions. I would add two. Check the oil level in your carbs and check to see that your timing is advancing correctly as the rpm's go up.

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Depending on how often you drive your car, stale gas can give you his effect, as well as, the new alcohol blends some states now sell.

OP
T

TomFromStLouis

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks all. I will let you know what I learn.

I generally keep the oil in the carbs up to snuff. Will check condenser.

I make the enjoyable effort to use up a tank of gas at least every 2 or 3 months, so I doubt stale gas is my problem. All fuel around here is 10% ethanol.

I have returned to points; no Pertronix.

Checking the timing sounds like I'll need help.

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
If it's more of an occasional misfire then its probably electrical. If it feels more like its dying before it recovers it could be fuel starvation. Check the fuel pump as well.

oxford

Jedi Hopeful
I had the problem with my MGA. Turned out to be modern spark plug leads. Once I replaced them with copper core, problem was fixed.
Matthew