• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

PORCHE !!!! 912 vs 911

soren_ak

Jedi Hopeful
PORCHE !!!! 912 vs 911

the price difference is huge - anyone know why that is ?

i was looking at ebay and there u can get a 912 wich is also cool looking for 1/5 the pice of a 912 ??

any one know why that is ?? is it a bad model mechanicly speaking ??

thanks for any help
soren

A

aerog

Re: PORCHE !!!! 912 vs 911

Possibily...because the 912 only has a flat-4 64hp engine from the 356 series (essentially a 1600cc VW Beetle engine) and the 911 adds horsepower with a 130hp 6-cylinder in their original 1960s form.

A

aerog

Oops - craig beat me to it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bret

Yoda

Nice car actually even if it is under powered. I saw one yesterday in a fast food drive throu window. Needed some TLC but it wasn't any worst than my 78B was when I first found her.

I always liked the 912s.

Bret

Yoda

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, the 912 is a fine car in its own right, despite the 4 cylinder engine. The looks are the same.......gorgeous!

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly! And beings how most folks aren’t enthusiasts, they wouldn’t know the difference. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

sammyb

Luke Skywalker

Keep in mind that there were two different 912s. The original was 1965-1969 and had the 356C's 1600 four cyl engine. In 1976, the 912 returned with the 2.0l 914 engine.

Actually the original 912 is a heck of a car -- the problem is that the engine is fairly complex and somewhat fragile, and since the 912 owners tend to neglect them, you'll usually find a VW engine as a replacement.

The original 912s could be optioned to be just like 911s, so sometimes you'll find one with full gauges, fog lights etc... If they've been well-maintained, they are great cars.