• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Pondering portable garage

Kim de B

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Winter's coming, I've got to find a safe place for the 66B.

Someday (I hope) we'll build a garage . . . But meanwhile, I'm procrastinating finding a winter home for the car.

There's a storage place just down the road, which would be convenient enough that I could use it like a garage . .. . but they want $97 a month. (Ouch!)

Someone suggested one of those portable garage things. (Basically, like a semi-permanent tent: Basic frame and zip-door tarp...) About $250.

Anyone out there had any experience with them?

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I use a "Car Capsule" for one of my cars and I love it. It provides a constant flow of air over the car and keep all dust/dirt off the finish. Mine is the clear one for indoor use (like in a garage) but they also make an outdoor version that is not see thru. One place that sells them is the National Corvette Museum https://www.corvettemuseum.com Do a search for "Car Capsule" and you can probably find other places that sell them. A less expensive altenative to $97/mo storage and you'll own it.

A

aerog

There's also one called a "car jacket" that is similar to the capsule, but it's a heavier solid material. You unfold it (in place), drive over it, and zip it all up. That coupled with one of those temporary "shed roof" things you can buy would keep the weather and sun off it.

------------------
-- Scott
https://www.aerog.com/mgpage

wavingus.gif

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Originally posted by aerog:
There's also one called a "car jacket" that is similar to the capsule, but it's a heavier solid material. You unfold it (in place), drive over it, and zip it all up. That coupled with one of those temporary "shed roof" things you can buy would keep the weather and sun off it.

One big difference though is the Car Capsule is inflated so that it doesn't touch the surface of the car (in case you are concerned about scratches. Plus, with the positive pressure, there is zero dust accumulation. Both are probably good, but just depends on how paranoid you are about your car's finish.
The down side of the capsule I have is that you have to keep it plugged in (it runs on pennies a day though). How much are those "car jackets". Any idea?

Basil

[This message has been edited by Basil (edited 10-31-2001).]

A

aerog

Bas:

The car jackets are $199. I'd give you a link for it but I've lost it twice already (grin).

I think I'd feel a little better about parking the car outside in the rain and snow using the jacket - without fear of water getting into the fan arrangement. I had to park my '52-MGTD replica outside for several months and had the idea of keeping it covered (I have a pretty good car-cover for it), but also zipped up inside the "car jacket".

One major problem we have in Florida is humidity/Dew and condensation. I would take scraping frost off my windows ANY DAY over almost 365-days of solid dewed-up windows.

I would think the air-flow idea of the capsule might help that problem, and conversely I would think the car-jacket might actual keep some of the moisture IN doing more damage than good.

Along those lines we also have a product produced locally called "damp rid". It's a disposable crystal-like material similar to moisture-munchers or the silica-gel material they pack in cameras and other electronic goods. Damp-Rid comes in buckets, trays, and refills in 1/2-gallon milk containers. The buckets are designed with a built-in tray that has holes in the bottom. Water is collected by the material and drips into the bucket (disolving some of the material as it goes). Every two-weeks you dump it, top-off the Damp-Rid material, and keep going. I keep one in my car and let it soak up what it can. Sounds like something that might help even more in a car-capsule or car-jacket situation.

I expect I've just open the flood gates of snickers and brags about how dry the SW-USA is
wink.gif

------------------
-- Scott
https://www.aerog.com/mgpage

wavingus.gif

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
This seem more suited for the "Car Care" forum, so I'm gonn amove it there..Basil

OP
Kim de B

Kim de B

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Well, Scott, I'm with you as far as being concerned about humidity. I'm in the Northeast... We're not exactly tropical, but I've got my share of worries about dampness.

And yes, I discovered Damp Rid this year, when I left the car out with just the tonneau over it in a driving rain . . . Carpet under driver's seat got really wet.

After sopping up what I could with towels, I just stuck one of those Damp Rid trays under the seat . . . Did an amazing job.

[This message has been edited by Kim de B (edited 11-02-2001).]

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Originally posted by aerog:
Bas:

<snip>
I think I'd feel a little better about parking the car outside in the rain and snow using the jacket - without fear of water getting into the fan arrangement. <snip>

That's a good point (about water in the fan), I never thought of that. But, since the solid version of the bag is made for outdoor use, I wonder if they figured a solution to that concern? I dunno, I've not seen one in person. I know someone who sells them, so I can ask about that.

Basil