• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Polishing/Cleaning Chrome Wire Wheels?

CinneaghTR

Jedi Warrior
Has anyone tried the Flitz/Mothers-type polishing ballS on the spokes on their chrome wires? I cleaned and polished my wires the other week and would like to see if there is a quicker way to get into the spokes with extra tight clearances other than my fingers and a soft cloth.

TIA.

Steve_S

Yoda
I use a soft brush made by Black Magic, which I bought at Pep Boys. Any soft to medium brush will do, but you have to make sure the center shaft is as thin as possible. I have found that metal centers are best, but be sure it's coated, not bare metal, or it may scratch your wheel. If you can't find anything small enough, try kitchen cleaning brushes.

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Folks;

I had a `67 Series I Rdstr: Brought it to a "Detail Shop" to get a Real Good Compound & Waxing:

The Owner goes to me; "Would You like Your Wire Wheels cleaned"! Well; I just got thru spending hrs and I thought they looked Great: I really was`nt too happy when he did ask that Question:

He first Hoses down My wheels; Gets a Spray Bottle (Windex Type) with some stuff in it & Sprays All 4 wheels: I`m watching All this "Black Junk" running off the Wheels & asked where the heck is that coming from? I was afraid It was eating My Calipers or Rotors or All of the above:

He waited but a few seconds; Hoses the Wheels one more time & Lets it "Drip Dry" for a about 5 min:

Man; You have never seen anything like this!! No water spots / No rubbing / No busted knucles / No Nothing except Gleaming Chrome Wires!!

Its an "Industrial Strenght" something or another that You cannot buy in any Auto Aftermarket Store or Anywhere unless Your in the Detail Business and a Customer:

I got him to buy me a Gallon (Lasts a Very Long Time) for $35.00: Yes, I know, Expensive but there`s nothing like It: To this Very Day, That`s All I use!!

So Now, You all want to know what`s it called? Well; I don`t know! I just used up the last of the stuff I had on a Friends Series II and He just "S____T" in his pants:

I will be seeing the Detailer shortly and Re-Ordering this Stuff: I`ll let You folks know Who the Mfg is: Check with Your Local "Professional" Detail Shop as well:

Have Fun;

Regards, Russ

Steve_S

Yoda
Chrome is far easier to clean than paint. The dirt melts right off. Be careful using anything too strong on a regular basis. Be sure to wet the wheels first also. A spray wax can help to not only protect against rust, but to keep dirt from sticking to the wheels.

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Steve;

I`m afraid the "Stuff" I`m referring to would probably eat the Paint right off the Wheels:

A local Friend has an 18 Wheeler: His wheels "Shined" pretty nice but He was so Impressed with My Chrome Wires; He asked how do I keep them so clean?

Well; I showed Him!! One mistake was he did`nt tell me that they were "Polished Alum": That`s not Good! It took the "Sheen" right out of his wheels! Not a happy camper!

So; The moral to this story is; Stl. or Stainless Stl; Preferably Chrome Plated not painted or Polished & You have a Super Winner; Otherwise Your in Deep Duty!!

Regards, Russ