• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Plans for my "free" engine and transmission

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
So I've got this free B Engine, a 18V from '76 or so with a CAM-1106 head. Originally I was thinking this would either be the basis for an eventual performance build or a swap in so I could rebuild my current (and original) engine when the time comes.

Now, however, I'm thinking that I'm going to use this to learn more about engines. So I'll take Hap's article about how to tear down an engine and get some practice. Go through all the steps to see what condition this engine is in. It doesn't owe me anything, so if I break something I'm not to fussed.

If everything checked out properly, I'd plan to put it all back together (cheap refresh) and have it as a spare. Otherwise I can send the bits off to recycling.

Figure I'll do the same with the transmission, never been inside one of those before.

Flash_Harry

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Sounds like a good plan, Drew. I've got the original engine from my '74 GT, just sitting in the garage. Might be good to do what you plan, and have a good spare, just in case.

The last engine I took apart was a '30-something Chevy 6-cylinder, given to us by a loon we knew. A friend and I - both of us 12 - took it almost all the way down, put it back together, and danged if it didn't run!
Harry

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
The last engine I took apart was a '30-something Chevy 6-cylinder, given to us by a loon we knew. A friend and I - both of us 12 - took it almost all the way down, put it back together, and danged if it didn't run!
Harry

And the gauntlet is thrown! :devilgrin:

You gotta start somewhere, Drew, and your plan sounds like a good one. I've done several engines, but never delved into a transmission. Maybe one day...

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
If it was an OD transmission, I'd do something more serious with it, but a non OD 4-sync MGB transmissions has very little value. Hopefully a good learning tool, though.

I've never rebuilt an engine -- closest was when I tore down the 1275 for the Tunebug before sending it to Hap. He did all the hard work, I just disassembled. Would be nice to build something that ran, though, to have around as a spare.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I did the same thing a few years ago with a 1275 Midget engine. I had planned to put it into my Bugeye, but after getting it rebuilt, I foresaw a long process of getting it sorted out. The 948 was running well, so I decided against the swap and eventually sold the 1275.

I learned a lot, and I sold it for what I had put into it. Can't do much better than that.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I figure that the worst that can happen is I'll learn a bunch and have a heavy pile of scrap metal to dispose of. Best case I get a spare running engine as well.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Good plan! But I'd say keep goin' on it after tear-down. Make it a viable spare. The "mule" as it were... if you have it complete and stowed, the one in the car can be rebuilt as YOU decide, swapped out at convenience instead of VOR (Vehicle Off Road) for a year.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
That's what I'm thinking now, Doc. I do eventually want to rebuild the one in the car, as it's the original block. Some sort of nice street/performance build. Having this one ready to go would be the way to do it -- weekend of swap and off we go.

Should be a fun project, I've never rebuilt an engine before.

Drew I want lots of folks thur this process each year, with my engine rebuilt kits, the article is a good way to do the tear down, it's about learning as much as you can from the tear down.

I'm working on the next article now, very slowly :smile:, it will probably appear in the Spring Moss Motoring magazine, it will cover cleaning and prep the biggest and hardest job of this project) , machine shop phase, and assembly.

The biggest issue I see people run into is a very minumal approach, they want to keep things on tight budget, hey we all do :smile: They get it in thier minds, they can "look" at things and not measure, I always tell them, " the human eye ,while a very useful tool is not precision measuring tool, and a engine tells us what it needs, not the other way around". I think the guys who get themselves in the most trouble are the ones who think the crank journals and cylinder can stay standard, because they "looked good", these folks normally open bearing and piston boxes, handle these parts, then discover thye can't use them, and can't return them , so they end up spending more money, trying to save money. The first part of the machine shop phase is the measuring part, and at that point, you then will know what sizes you need, and save alot of money, and frustration.

When you get ready Drew, give me a shout. You'll need to buy a few tools for this.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'm looking forward to learning how to do the measuring, Hap -- and to the new tools I'll need. The only engine I've ever been inside of was the 1275 for the Tunebug, and that was just disassembly for shipping purposes. With this one I really want to learn how this process is done. All this engine cost was the gas to go pick it up, so it doesn't owe me anything. Would be nice to have it as a working spare, though.

When it comes time to do the real build up for my B, I'll want to use the engine that's in the car now. It's the original 18GG block that came with the car when it was new, and it has a non-smog 12H2709 head on it now. I like the idea of using the original pieces for the long term build, but it would be nice to have something to swap in while I'm doing the major build up.

I will definitely give you a call when I get serious about going through this one. May try and at least get the engine and transmission split and the engine on a stand this weekend. Just has to get a bit warmer out there -- it's 3*f at my house this morning. Brrrrrr :cold: