• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Pictures for picnic basket/luggage setup on TR?

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
My dad is still going strong as a woodworker at 85 - we're trying to come up with a winter project for a british style basket, or wood trunk that would look good on the back of a TR. For all the luggage racks out there, I've really drawn a blank at finding pictures or ideas on what might be a good project.

I have to believe with the various Triumph outings we all have, someone has something nifty on the back cars- any help?

Thanks,
Randy

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
I built this luggage rack. I am not a woodworker so it is very unsophisticated. I used white oak. We put folding lawn chairs and a folding table on it when we go to Victoria BC, the boot is full of luggage.

218521501_b6f19104af.jpg

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker
Randy, I have thought about this for the longest time. My thoughts have gone along the lines of a custom-built luggage-like hinged box that would be custom built to fit the particular luggage rack. My thoughts are to use something like 1/4" thick marine-grade plywood, built along the lines of a suitcase, with brass hinges and latch with custom leather straps to hold it down onto the rack. I have seen on the internet some caning material that would look great glued or bonded over the plywood suitcase, neatly done, and stained or coated with high-grade spar varnish. The inside could be built with lips to avoid rain or water leakage and perhaps covered with fabic or whatever on the inside, maybe something to hold wine glasses or whatever. Is this kinda what you had in mind. My next project, if you please. I am sure that I don't have your Dad's woodworking skills; perhaps he could design something and market it, specifically to me......

OP
TR4nut

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Mark- That rack is pretty slick looking! I've already got a rack for my TR4 otherwise that would definitely be the project.

Bill- Yes, that is right along the lines of what I'm thinking. I've done a quick websearch and think something like this would be about the shape:
pb3388rendezvous.jpg

Maybe slightly bigger, in wood, with provisions for leather straps. I'd like it to look kind of "englishy" if possible.

Randy

Tomster

Jedi Knight
If you pre TR4 I would suggest anything made from wicker.
Will look great but may not be too sanitary
Try googling "antique picnic baskets" or just picnic basket" under images or web for some better ideas.
Some of the yuppy-preppy stores like Pier 1, Crate n Barrel may also have something

Country flag
I would think about using teak, solid or as an outer layer/veneer. Teak is used a lot on boats, is weather resistant, and has a nice color. There is upkeep to teak but it is durable. Just something to consider.

OP
TR4nut

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Thought I'd finish off this old thread of mine by showing you what my dad just made me for a picnic basket:

IMG_0868.jpg

IMG_0869.jpg

And he's going to be 86 this year! Can't wait to try this out on one of the club outings.

Randy

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
thats a beauty!!!

but everytime I put a basket on my TR6, I cant see whats behind me.

It looks cool but...

so now I pack a cooler and put it in the trunk

TonyPanchot

Jedi Trainee
Now that is an eye catcher
very nice

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
kodanja said:
...everytime I put a basket on my TR6, I cant see whats behind me...

Raul Julia in Gumball Rally - "Whatsa behind me itsa not important" (as he rips the rearview mirror off the car).

That basket is beautiful, should look great on the car and prove very useful.

I can't imagine a trip w/o the extra capacity a luggage rack offers. I just use an old suitcase but yours is a work of art. One doesn't want a lot of weight on the rack (I use the suitcase for the light bulky clothes) but a box of picnic items should do very well.

3rd%20Brake%20Light.JPG

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
That looks fantastic. Please tell your dad that his custom TR luggage is attracting world-wide compliments!

OP
TR4nut

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks All-

No doubt about it, I'm tickled with it - the nicest part is it gives me and my dad something to tweak a little while I'm visiting. We just finished test fitting a bottle of wine, and have a drop-in box made for the silverware. Already added the early Spitfire Triumph shield on the case - so I guess it means I'll have a TR in my garage for a long time because I'm not getting rid of this box ever!

Randy

ps. Geo- I had that picture of yours stashed away from a while ago as incentive - always thought that suitcase looked great!

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker
Does your dad do these "for out", as we say in Cajun Country. I would be interested in one.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Randy that rack is beautiful. Your Dad is quite a craftsman and his attention to detail shows.

For the life of me, I could never understand why the English, who were never at the top of the ratings for food choices, were so into picnic baskets. Maybe they all went to a local Italian or Jewish deli and bought sandwiches to take along. Or maybe some French bread and wine and cheese.

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker
I want one that I can glue some wicker webbing onto, with some strong weather-proof glue, and will finish it with a high-grade spar varnish. With leather straps and all. Thin, just enough to carry a few items. My wood working skills are limited.

Is your day interested in a new career?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I didn't pay too much attention, but one of our local club members is apparently planning to manufacture some similar cases. I saw him delivering some to other club members at the "Drive on the Edge" yesterday and overheard a comment to the effect that it was going to be more than a hobby. Unfortunately I don't recall who that was, but maybe Bob Muzio will be along soon and have the lowdown.

The one on his TR6 luggage rack looked like a work of art, complete with leather straps to hold it to the rack. I took it for one of those expensive picnic baskets that TRF sells, but it wasn't wicker and actually looked much nicer. There was another one that fitted neatly into the trunk.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Brosky said:
...For the life of me, I could never understand why the English, who were never at the top of the ratings for food choices, were so into picnic baskets...

For that matter, how is it that a country with rain 300 days of the year built so many fine roadsters? I think the answer to both may be that it is a nation with a sense of style.

PS -- In fairness I'll admit to enjoying many fine sunny days and excellent meals in the UK.

John_Mc

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Geo Hahn said:
I think the answer to both may be that it is a nation with a sense of style.
Although every time I see James May's hair on Top Gear, I wonder if that's <span style="font-style: italic">good</span> sense, or otherwise... :crazyeyes: But then again, James Bond was/is the epitome of style.

I also must admit that I have had some incredibly delicious shepherd's pies at English restaurants. The kind you crave later.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
John,

I will agree with you on that, but they are kind of hard to take on a picnic.