• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Picture of an early widescreen frame

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Wondered if anyone has a picture of an early style side screen frame with the non-sliding window and the "soft" lower flap.

Thanks...

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Oh well...

Maybe someone knows the difference between the frames for the early single sewn in window frame vrs The later sliding window frames? The car came with bare frames that appear to be of the later Dzeus style, having the Dzeus holes on the mounting arms and channels for the sliding windows. The car has the wedge style mounting brackets. So, having never seen what an early style sidescreen looks like, I am just trying to get a handle on what the differences are...what I am looking for in a replacement...or even someone that has an early style they'd sell...

Any descriptions are appreciated!

Thanks,

Country flag
John
I'll look tomorrow. The TR2 curtains were a little different. I have several sets of frames but most are the dz type. I'll let you know if I have extra wedge type frames.

Marv

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Gotta love spell check...just noticed it changed it to "wide" from "side"!!!

LOL

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Gotta love spell check...just noticed it changed it to "wide" from "side"!!!

LOL

OK - early widescreen:

Friday_Night_Drive_In.jpg

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The solid window sidecurtains were only very early, up to TS8636. After that (up to TS28825, which includes early TR3A), the rear window slid but the mounts were still the wedge type. I don't know that the frames were different between these two types of "wedge mount" curtains, but I suspect there is at least some small difference.

The later wedge mount frames (like those for TS13571L) are two pieces; the main frame with the mounts only goes around the window area. The bottom half is a separate piece, basically just very heavy wire (about 3/16" IIRC) that outlines the flap with the zipper.

I have what I believe are the original curtains from TS13571L (somewhere), but as I said I don't know they are the same. Most likely not exactly, as I think the channel has to be wider to allow for the sliding Perspex window.

PS, there were also two variants of solid window sidecurtains. Up to TS5255 the flap was attached to the body with Tenax fasteners; LTDs were used from TS5256 onwards. Until of course the Dzus mount curtains, which had no fasteners at all along the bottom edge.

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks,

I'm looking for TS 5248, so I believe it's the earliest version with the solid window. On a couple pics I have found, it looks like "solid" is actually the same "soft" material that is used in the top rear windows. Whereas the later style, after 5255, had a lower frame down at the cockpit coming, it to me looks like the early version was just a soft vinyl flap that was held by the tenax to the coming. I'm just at a bit of a loss having never seen one, so don't know what I'm looking for for a replacement.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
On a couple pics I have found, it looks like "solid" is actually the same "soft" material that is used in the top rear windows.
Similar, but not the same I think. The material in the side curtains was thinner and hard enough that it would break if you tried to bend it very far. But still not solid (as in stiff) by any means. Just "solid" in the sense that they were all one piece.

Stupid suggestion : Have you thought about just shipping them to TRF? They know all this stuff, and from what I've seen do an outstanding job of restoration.

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks all.

Randall, the ones that came with the car are the wrong year...they fit the sliding window and dzeus fastener vintage, so they can't be rebuilt to the old wedge style. That's why I sound so ignorant about them, because I am! I have never seen what they are supposed to look like.

Mike, that helped a good bit in knowing what I am looking for.

Marv...I PM'd you about a road trip!

Thanks again everybody!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
I restored some early side curtains several years ago.The odd thing was the lower half had
its own separate frame so it could be fastened down then lifted up for egress.This presumably allowed for the solid
window. We cut down some later curtains and made new lower frames from the only pattern piece we had.(Rusty
gold)Then we used the sliders as they were easy to get and gave better ventilation......I recall it was TS 8xxx L
an early 56 by the heritage certificate.
MD

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Interesting MD. Do you remember if the frame around the window section was thinner for the stationary window in comparison to the sliding window frame?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Hey, thanks for the link, Lou. I'm busy reading it and trying to absorb the differences between it and what I thought I knew :smile:

A question, if you don't mind, can you explain why the location of the wiper motor affected where the wiper arms parked? The motor can obviously drive the arms through whatever the sweep is, and the park location (at least on the later motors, not sure about the earlier ones) can be adjusted to anywhere in the sweep. Also, the link for "parked on the right" actually shows them parked on the left. I thought the photo might have been reversed, but one of the earlier photos shows what appears to be the same car and it is clearly LHD.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Last edited: