• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

period correct jack

M

Mike_Bouse

1. can any one get me a picture or description of a jack, jack handle, and lug wrench that is period correct for my 1969 Spitfire?

2. does any one have a period correct jack,jack handle and lug wrench for sale for a '69 Spit?

FrankenStein came with a Chrysler jack rattling around in the trunk. Does not have a handle, or a lug wrench.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Mike_Bouse said:
1. can any one get me a picture or description of a jack, jack handle, and lug wrench that is period correct for my 1969 Spitfire?
The jacks are typically of the "scissors" type. An example can be seen currently on eBay .

The "lug wrench" was often as not a relatively cheap sheet metal "box" wrench with an end also for spark plugs and a bar that went through it to turn it. Nice for show, and usable if you've nothing else, but you're better off buying a 11/16" socket and breaker bar or one of the typical "X" bars available in most auto sections of department stores. These usually have one 11/16" socket on them.

OP
G

People actually *buy* those things. Amazing.
I nearly threw mine out with the garbage...

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
That jack on ebay is a late model spit jack,not for TR6. See the hole, it is for the peg under the spit. Early TR 4/6 jacks bring some good money. Mike that jack will work for your car.

Flinkly

Jedi Trainee
i hate to say this, but i might have thrown mine out with the garbage when i tore my car down. it was sitting in a pool of water and was well rusted, but like my gt6, i'm learning that anything can be restored to better than new, with the right amount of green and/or time. probably wasn't the "correct" one anyways.

now i've got to look around in the shop to see what i do have in my "other" pile.

OP
M

Mike_Bouse

Well, w/out the jack handle that particular example (ebay item) is not worth my time.

In the twelve years I've owned and operated sports cars, i have never had the need to use a jack. I am sure the first time I venture out w/out one I'll wish differently.

if anyone has a strong desire to part with one, i'm a volunteer to accept it.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Mike_Bouse said:
Well, w/out the jack handle that particular example (ebay item) is not worth my time....
For what it's worth, you really don't need the handle. You can turn these with nothing more than a medium screwdriver for leverage. Of course, you're talking about something only needed in an emergency situation.... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

John_Mc

Jedi Knight
Country flag
DNK said:
Isn't that why AAA was started.

AAA is great, but who wants to wait for them to change a tire (much less, a tyre)? I like being able to repair what I can myself whenever possible.
What do you all use in your cars? I'd like to get a jack to keep in the trunk (floor jack is a bit too big, plus I have to roll the wheels onto 2x4s to get it under the front). Are scissor jacks available at the local parts store?

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
Mike,get a piece of rod at TSC, and you can bend it to copy the one I have. I'd sell ya mine but I get $1500.00 bucks for em.

OP
M

Mike_Bouse

Wow! How many have you sold at that price? I can imagine you are independantly wealthy by now with those parts prices!!

I will do just that. Next time I'm up I'll look at your handle.

OP
M

Mike_Bouse

OK. I bid on it. Now, let's wait and see how many we can get for $1,500.

Or, at least see how much that one in the mud puddle could have sold for.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I don't have AAA fix a flat. I have them flat bed me home or to a tire place.

OP
M

Mike_Bouse

Well, someone else wants that jack WAY more than I do, so i quit bidding.

if anyone reading this thread reconsidered and pawed around in the garage for a jack....i'm interested.

else, i will just keep that clunker Chrysler job that came with the car.

tomshobby

Yoda
These art the three tools that came with my 76TR6. I am certain these are original to the car. The picture does not show it but the jack has the same hole as the ebay link that Andrew posted.

76TR6jack.jpg

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Mike_Bouse said:
Well, someone else wants that jack WAY more than I do, so i quit bidding.
It's @ $16.00 as I write this; not bad when you consider that The Roadster Factory is asking $100.00 for brand-new (reproduction, I think) jacks!

Mike_Bouse said:
i will just keep that clunker Chrysler job that came with the car.
Probably no reason why it won't work as well as anything else. Seems to me scissor-style jacks currently are a 'dime a dozen' in Japanese cars and maybe other current cars as well? Again, these are for tire-changing procedures, NOT prolonged mechanical repairs involving placing one's own body underneath the car (not that I ever did such a thing, years ago, when I was a poor college student and didn't know better and couldn't afford a real jack and stands and....) /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

OP
M

Mike_Bouse

thanks tom for the picture. i now know what to look for at swap meets.

the jack on ebay eventually sold for over $30 plus shipping.

i'll stick with what i have for now.

Thanks all for your input.