• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Painting insides of sills

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
With the conversation on rust encapsulating paint going on
https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/u...ator#Post542752

My question is: What paint should be used on the insides of sills?

I am in the middle of replacing inner and outer sills and floors on my 4A. I am repalacing most of the inner sill, with a cutout around the a-post, and replacing the bottom half of the outer sill (there is only surface rust at the top, and this way I get to keep the original sharp crease in the factory sill). I am also replacing the floor. Order of work is inner sill, outer sill, floor.

Before I put in the floor, how should I protect the cavity inside the sill? It is a mixture of surface rust and the paint used on Heritage replacement panels. I sprayed Rustoleum rust converter on the cleaned up remnant of the outer sill, and was going to topcoat it with a color coat of Rustoleum. Once I am completed with the car, I'll inject Waxoyl (spelling?).

Is a POR-15 type of paint better? I figure this area needs to be coated and protected as water will enter. But it will not see the light of day nor any stone chips.

OP
Popeye

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
A photo of the inner sill and floor removed... The rust on the outer is evident; however it is limited to the lower half.

(I welded in the inner sill before I removed the outer)

1105082028a.jpg

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Popeye said:
With the conversation on rust encapsulating paint going on
https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/u...ator#Post542752

My question is: What paint should be used on the insides of sills?

I've heard that some folks take a rag, soak it in POR15, and then drag it through the sills to coat the inside. Likely to be effective if you can prep the inside where the POR15 is going to go, bet it makes a huge mess too.

You could spray Eastwood Heavy Duty AntiRust or similar as an alternative.

PeterK

Yoda
I used the Eastwood Anti-rust sprayed inside the frame members with a wand type undercoating gun. Similar to Waxoyl.

Number_6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Before I welded the sills on my Jag I sprayed the inside of all the sealed box sections and the inside of the sills with 3-4 coats of rustoleum.

OP
Popeye

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
DNK said:
Nice Scooter

Thanks! It is a 1965 Vespa GLA - a lot of fun and was my first restoration project; wanted to start small before tackling a full car!

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker
Mike, I went through a rather convoluted process to protect inside the sills of my TR6 (should be similar to your 4). What got me started was when I replaced the floorboards with Heritage panels. Using a high-quality hole saw (ya gotta have a heavy duty drill with extra handle, and hold on!) I cut round holes in both ends of each sill and painted the inside of each with Rust Encapsulator coating. How, you say. Here's the good part, and somewhat a PITA. I went to Walmart and found some large puff ball looking thingies in the crafts department (ya'll top laughing) and using the largest ones, a little larger than a golf ball, I made up some long-handled paint wands. Basically, I took about a 10 foot piece of bailing wire and doubled it, crimping the puff ball in the doubled end with my bench vice. Then, I inserted the equal-length loose ends (about 5 feet long at this point) into my drill, locked it down and slowly, pulling all the while, spun the double wire into a stiff handle, shrinking the thing to less than four feet long. The more you spin, the tighter it becomes, until you break it. Voila! Long-handled wicks for painting inside closed spaces. I used this technique to coat inside my firewall space under the windscreen. Oh, and then I found some rubber plugs and sealed both ends and sprayed over with undercoating. Worked for me. Remember, the sill have to breath. There are slot holes in the tops under the carpet and gaps at the bottom all along the seam. Seal them up and you have problems.

Mark Jones

Jedi Warrior
tdskip said:
I've heard that some folks take a rag, soak it in POR15, and then drag it through the sills to coat the inside. Likely to be effective if you can prep the inside where the POR15 is going to go, bet it makes a huge mess too.

Before I put then endcap on my Spitfire's new sills I used a paint brush taped to a broom handle and painted the inside of the sills with POR15. Look pretty funny doing it but will hopefully keep the tin worm away.

Tom74TR6

Mark Jones said:
tdskip said:

Before I put then endcap on my Spitfire's new sills I used a paint brush taped to a broom handle and painted the inside of the sills with POR15. Look pretty funny doing it but will hopefully keep the tin worm away.
I did the exact same thing to my 6. I used Rustoleum Industrial primer after the floors and inner sills were welded. when in thru the end caps with the broom handle and disposable brushes.
Put newspaper under the sill because the paint will leak out between the weld seams.
Tom C