• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Oxygen sensors on older cars

billca

Does anyone have experience using modern oxygen sensors to monitor air/fuel mixtures on our old British cars? Seems as if it might have potential for tuning while the engine is under load.
Bill C.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by billca:
Does anyone have experience using modern oxygen sensors to monitor air/fuel mixtures on our old British cars? Seems as if it might have potential for tuning while the engine is under load.
Bill C.
<hr></blockquote>

I don't have experience with older cars, but I have one on my Supercharged Miata. You don't want to run lean with forced induction (or any other time for that matter). About a month ago, the Miata started to run lean. I wouldn't have known without the gauge. Anyway, it turned out to be a fuel pump that was just getting tired. I replaced it, and everything back to normal. I opted for an analog A/F gauge, because they are buffered, the LED gauges dither too much.

Westach has them.

G

I own a Dynojet248h dynomomiter with a wide band O2 sencor. I use it to tune all sorts of cars most every day.
To answer your question, yes it will help you tune your car.
I would go to a dyno shop in your area that has a wide band O2 and tune it there, then use your gauge like a warning light. I have seen alot of diferent gauges. Some are acurate some are not all have the tendency to make the driver a nervous wreck.
The O2 sencor that I use in my dyno cost $400, just the sencor.
You will get what you pay for
Tune tip: Most NA cars run best around 13.2/1AF.
Your AF gauge will read this as rich.

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Billca,

I have recently installed a lambda sensor on my Triumph 2.5 P.I. saloon (1967) and monitor it using a didital multimeter. So far I have not done much except prove that I can check how the mixture is under load and engine RPM. I haven't had time yet to start tuning and see what gains I get. In theory it should give me a rolling road effect as far as mixture goes.
Alec.

OP
B

billca

ThomP,
Thanks for the reference. Excellent article. I'm glad to see there are some folks with lots of experience using these tools.
Bill C