• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB overheating MGB

golf

Hello everyone,

My 72MGB runs at 195-200 on the highway.The faster I go,the hotter it runs.I had the radiater cleaned at Roppels and tightened the fan belt.Is this temp serious,and if so ,does anyone have any suggestions.Do the electric fans help much? Thanks,Ben /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
[ QUOTE ]
Hello everyone,

My 72MGB runs at 195-200 on the highway.The faster I go,the hotter it runs.I had the radiater cleaned at Roppels and tightened the fan belt.Is this temp serious,and if so ,does anyone have any suggestions.Do the electric fans help much? Thanks,Ben /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats sounds high. Make sure the gauge is accurate. Not sure if your gauge has a voltage stabilizer or not. Heat can be casused by timing not right, water pump not up to snuff, wrong fan. Radiator is cleaned as you say but perhaps engine has blockages. Are you using a thermostat and is it working correctly and the right one?

Never used it, but Water Wetter claims to drop temp by 10 degrees or so. I would guess there is a problem somehwere and that electric is not THE answer at this time.

G

Mine is a '72 and here are some of the observations I have made.
I used to worry a lot about it and first tried a new temp sensor since the old one had a loose connector on it anyway. I then read higher. I repaired the connection and went back to the old one. The radiator core was eaten up some so I had it replaced. Still read the same. The guy even told me the new one had more cooling capacity. It didn't go up as high but still consistantly read just above the normal mark and a little higher in traffic. I checked the temp of the water at the radiator cap and it read 180 when the gauge was on the normal mark. I tried an add on fan from a local parts store ( I believe it is a 10") and that only helped a small amount in traffic. I mounted it on the front of the radiator to blow back through the rad and someone on here told me it shoould be on the back of the rad. I tried it without the stock fan with just the add on still on the front of the rad and it would not stop the temp from climbing. There isn't much room on the back and the stock unit would have to be completely removed so I never did it.
It still consistantly goes just above normal but no higher. It will cool down to the normal mark if it rains or at night. I just decided to let it go and not worry and it seems ok.
There IS a regulator and mine was ok but I forget the exact voltage it is supposed to regulate at. I think it is ten volts and if this is bad, it sure will make your temp show bad.
Bob

OP
G

golf

Thanks guys for your help.I know my gauge is correct as I have checked the water with an independent thermo.The gage does go a notch past normal,but will come back some if I slow down to 50.Maybe I'm a little too cautious.Thanks again,Ben

adam90009

Jedi Warrior
i did notice yeasterday when i was driving 70 it was getting kinda warm but when id come to a red light it was at normal? oh well this are running smooth so im not goona touch it. it its not TOO broken dont fix it

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks guys for your help.I know my gauge is correct as I have checked the water with an independent thermo.The gage does go a notch past normal,but will come back some if I slow down to 50.Maybe I'm a little too cautious.Thanks again,Ben

[/ QUOTE ]

I really would not concern myself with a notch above normal. I smidge under hot might cause concern.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I'm running a 165 degree (F) thermostat. Works fine and gives me a little extra breathing room in hot-heavy traffic.