• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A overdrive transmission, cosmetically clean

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Well when they said a tr3 is the poor man’s real sports car, they had me in mind. I purchased the overdrive transmission that was in the 61 tr3 which was in the garage fire. The switch going to the dash still clicks but the insulation around the wires is burned off. The electrical stuff on top off the shifter looks ok and the solenoid on the side looks good with the rubber boot on top looking like it survived. The trans outer case needs a good cleaning. I think I will do that first and then install it and see how it works or perhaps do a total rebuild this winter. Anyways in the past with a non-overdrive I would pressure the outer case and then pull the cover tip it over drain out the fluid and put new fluid in-- drive it a little and change the fluid again, but with the OD I am not sure what to do. I do not want to trap water in there somehow, so I am looking for suggestion on how to cosmetically clean the case while the trans is still together.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Great! Now we'll be rebuilding overdrives at the same time!

I usually pressure wash too, after taping over any vents or seals. My second choice is carb cleaner for smaller parts, and kerosene for big parts. It's nasty no matter what.

The only thing I might do different, is I don't change the fluid on old trannies, unless I know for sure it has been changed regularly. A lot of metal chips and filings from synchros and gear grinding settle to the sludge in the bottom and become harmlessly trapped there. If you change the fluid, all those chips free-up at one time and make a mess of the bearings. I have changed fluid 3 times on old cars that I bought with manual gearboxes...and all 3 times the trannies started howling shortly after. On one the countershaft broke within a week.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Problem is, an overdrive has a pressure lubrication system. It doesn't just run on splash like most manual transmissions do, but sucks oil up from the lowest point.

So at an absolute minimum, I would plan on pulling the OD drain plug, to clean the screen and magnets. (If somehow you got an early model without the magnets, I'd add at least one magnet.)

Taping over the vent is a good idea, too. but I wouldn't even consider leaving the old oil in there, even if it hadn't been through a fire. Personally, I would also want to do a bench pressure test, as running with the pressure too low or too high can further damage the unit; but that's just me.

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Well I will have to do a yahoo search or have you explain what you mean by a bench test Randall. My experience with overdrives is very limited, but I always wanted one and it makes doing this project more fun and more interesting. I also purchased the wire wheels off the car and that will be new to me also. The wheels look ok, but I am judging with limited experience. The tires were new Michelin XZX made in France. The spare is still nice and one other tire looks to be usable. All the tires were new, but the heat cracked the side walls on the other 3, so I will be asking wirer wheels questions soon, I hope.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
And I just got a set of wires off EBay on the way...so Steve, you sure you're not watching what I'm doing?

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Apart from avoiding damaged I'd want a bench test just to be reasonably sure it worked before installing. I've wrassled with that OD box some and it is not an exercise I would want to repeat multiple times just to get the unit sorted out.

...The tires were new Michelin XZX made in France...

The thing to look at there is the date code -- most tire sites explain where to find it & how to decode it. I haven't seen 165/15 XZXs for sale in the US since the earlier part of this century, though perhaps someone has a more recent source.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Well I will have to do a yahoo search or have you explain what you mean by a bench test Randall.
Here's a good article that outlines the process. https://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/AOD/AOD4/AOD4.htm
Basically the idea is to find a way to spin the OD before installing it in the car, with a pressure gauge attached, so you can operate the solenoid and watch what the pressure does. I used a 1/2" drill motor, plus a short length of radiator hose that would just fit over the input shaft and the nose of the drill chuck (with clamps on both ends).
You don't have to literally do it on a bench, but I find that a lot easier than stooping over to do it on the floor.

PS, here's a good article on how to find the age of your tires. Assuming they bear the US required markings that is. If they are gray market imports, they might not have the codes.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I salvaged a motor from an old Maytag washer to use for spinning a gearbox -- though I have never used it to test an overdrive.

Maytag_zps30d04987.jpg

It is a bit of fun though.

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
I used arubber hose clamped to the shafts of my 1/2 inch drill motor and the tranny shaft to run mine up. Set it up on the same type of rig as is in the picture. Worked out just fine.

I WOULD NOT USE KEROSENE to clean the exterior. Kerosene leaves an oily residue on the parts. I have always used mineral spirits or paint thinner for parts cleaning. I have paint thinner in my parts cleaner and it works just fine. Dries quickly also. Just my thoughts and experience.

Cheers and good luck, Tinkeerman

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
My old man favored diesel for cleaning. It left a film that took weeks to dry. I switched to kerosene because it doesn't leave a residue. In fact, kerosene is what I have been using in my parts cleaner for decades.

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Well it sounds like the Jungian collective consciousness with respect to the tr3 John. In fact from my perspective, I cannot understand way more people are not involved. It beats TV. You guys are killing me with this overdrive stuff. I thought Geo was going to say it is the most fun he has had since he took apart the washing machine.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Well it sounds like the Jungian collective consciousness with respect to the tr3 John. In fact from my perspective, I cannot understand way more people are not involved. It beats TV. You guys are killing me with this overdrive stuff. I thought Geo was going to say it is the most fun he has had since he took apart the washing machine.
I'm pretty sure that Geo's position echoes my own : R&Ring the gearbox (especially with OD) is a big enough pain in the anatomy that it is worth spending some "quality time" to avoid having to do it again. It certainly is not something I do for fun!

Fun is getting to the top of the entrance ramp, and instead of letting off the throttle to shift, keep it mashed to the floor and flip the OD switch. As it says in https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2...NjM3LTlhNGQtNDZjMmNkZDdiMzBh/edit?usp=sharing, Real Good !

dave m

Freshman Member
regarding the tyres 165/15 xzx for sale

-longstone tyres in uk sells them quite reasonably and they are delivered to your door