• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

oooooooo... aaaaaaaahhh... How to Power Tune...

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
Well, I just went to a local specialty book store with a co-worker and picked up a copy of Peter Burgess's How to Power Tune MGB 4-cylinder Engines. In the short glances through the book I've had so far I've already learned a bunch of things that I didn't know. This is some good stuff Maynard! Oh yeah, my co-worker and I were talking to the owner of the shop and it appears that he has a coffee and donut drive in/park show at his store every Saturday morning from 8AM to 10AM. Apparently Jay Leno stops by the place every now and then.

I was amazed at the collection of MG books he has on the shelves there... I thought about buying a couple others besides the power tuning book, but opted out because I wasn't sure which ones are the "good ones" ... heh

The place was called "Auto Books" and it's on Magnolia BLVD in Burbank, CA. The ole chap working the counter had his Alpha hatch back parked out front of the store. It was probably one of the coolest book stores I've ever been too. A place for strictly car and airplane books and a car enthusiast ownin/operating the place... great place... I'm seriously considering getting up early on a Saturday sometime after the holidays to check out their "coffee & donuts" show... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Photos - take photos!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Re: oooooooo... aaaaaaaahhh... How to Power Tune..

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag

Best I can do around here is the Motor racing research library in Watkins Glen.It's an awesome place. If you're ever in Watkins, you should put aside a couple of hours to go there. Then, I could walk up the street to Smallys' Garage (read "Last Open Road") for a piece of "living history"
They've been a sportscar repair/ racing prep shop since cars were invented.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

[ QUOTE ]
...Then, I could walk up the street to Smallys' Garage (read "Last Open Road") for a piece of "living history"
They've been a sportscar repair/ racing prep shop since cars were invented.

[/ QUOTE ]

On our last trip to the Glen, in '77, the GTV started makin' a "funny" noise from the rear. Hoped to make Smalley's but the noise was "persistent" so stopped at the next opp shop... truck stop garage outside Corning. Herself cautiously went to use the necessary, I was imagining banjo music in the background and "on alert"... They allowed they knew nothing about Alfa Rome-eoh's but the Shop Boss was good enough to allow me use of shop space and a floor jack. They were entertained as I swapped out a rear U-J (on-board spares!). I recall remarks: "...li'l toy car..." "...ponytail..." etc.

As we were wrasslin' it back in, the chat had changed a bit: "...pretty cool..." "...'bout an hour..." "...clean..."

When finished I gave the boss beer money for him and the fellas... got waves on exit and "Come back again!"

Situation turned out a LOT better than it started. I'd have had to pay Smalley's a bit more'n beer money as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
I’ve purchased a few books from the Aero/Auto books store. Good stuff you can’t find at Barnes and Noble. I haven’t seen Jay there, probably ‘cause I can’t get my butt over to Burbank that early on a Saturday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I’ve ridden in a B that had a stable of extra ponies from a pair of Mikuni motorcycle carbs.

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag

ooo... mikunis on a B? Sounds interesting, if not unusual... I'd like to hear more about that... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tdskip: there were a few things I found suprising. Mainly cause I haven't torn my engine down past the valve cover. But I've learned that the head on our Bs has a LOT of room for improvement through modifications. Also, I learned a bit about headers. While they're a massive upgrade for 75+ model year Bs, the stock cast iron manifold is about as good as it gets for the older Bs. Pretty much any other aftermarket header doesn't make any noticeable power gains until the high RPM bands (e.g. 4500+ RPMs)... I also found that I can buy a Peter Burgess built & modified head on the internet... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The surprise to me was that gaines from exhaust changes weren't as big as I thought in the past. Not much of the book takes emissions testing into consideration, but there's a good deal of theory discussed that someone can take the concepts and apply them to an emissions restrained car and still make pleasant gains.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

I try to stop by Auto Books whenever I'm in the LA area.
It's dangerous being on vacation with a charge card!
There's another store a few blocks East of there that sells manuals,etc.When I was in there a few years ago,the
older gentleman new where everything was,even though it looked like a disorganized mess to me.Kind of like your own house - you know where things are,but other people just shake there head.

- Doug

Steve_S

Yoda

I've been by there a billion times and for some reason have never actually gone in. It's definately on my list of places to spend a bunch of money though.

Beware, Peter Burgess' book can be very dangerous to the pocketbook as well!!!

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag

Hi Nunyas,
The Mikuni setup was a prototype, so the manifold adaptors were a little raw. Moss found out what I was doing with my Healey, and wanted to explore the idea on a B. I arrived one day during tuning and took a few spins with the machinist. The carbs are HSR 42’s, which have flat slides and accelerator pumps. The engine was relatively stock, but I had to sit low in the seat because my head kept getting thrown back against the convertible top bar during shifts. It may never be developed, since it would be a cheaper alternative to the supercharger kit. Here is a shot of the tri-carb setup I’m making for my car. I still have to design heat shield and linkage. That’s today’s project.
150469-fuelrail.jpg