• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

On the road today--after 250 hours of work! Pics!

Brian N.

Jedi Hopeful
After about 250 hours of total work in the last six months, I have completed bringing this car up to the next level.

In addition to the stuff I mentioned a few weeks ago, this is the work done most recently:

Carb total rebuilds
New Wire harness
New steering ball joints and system adjustment
Installation of fully serviced trafficator

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

The test drive was wonderful. Everything worked right. Even the OD, which is now correctly operating on a throttle switch ($35 eBay) and throttle relay (Moss).

Also, the fuse system I installed is doing fine.

30 Amp at the brown wire at the solenoid
15 Amp on the ignition switch input
20 Amp on the headlight switch input

So far so good. I tried all the power items together and loading the system by turning switches on and off, and could not get any fuse to blow. I think all the new wiring and clean connections, each assembled with electrolytic grease, really cuts down on current draw. I'm even running the junk bar lights off the high beam circuit to the front of the car. No blown fuse, but I want to do some testing in the dark to see if the additional load diminishes the high beam quality.

When rebuilding the carbs, it turned out the rear one was not original, but pretty much worn as badly as the front one, even though much newer (brass shaft bushings). The reason, it turns out, that I could not previously get good carb tuning was a loose jet bearing nut on the rear carb, and no seals on the slow speed adusting screws on either carb. This in addition to the known issues of worn throttle shafts and bad shaft bushings.

Here's a couple of pics of the project today:

ed.jpg

cd.jpg

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
That'll look great after you clean it up a little!
crazyeyes.gif
Just kidding - looks GREAT!

Basil

[ 04-10-2004: Message edited by: Basil ]</p>

OP
B

Brian N.

Jedi Hopeful
Sorry about the wrong color under the hood. The car was originally white, then painted red, two different times.

The under hood area was sprayed black at some time with some kind of thick protective junk. Its all pretty hard now, and almost impossible to get off. I cleaned up what I could and oversprayed the rest of it with a couple of coats of semigloss rustoleum. Short of dipping the car in acid, that's the best I'm willing to do right now. Its kind of a textured look, but its clean and neat.

Skip & Lynne

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Nice job Brian; I am doing a frame off and I hope mine looks as clean as yours does when I am finished. Hey how do you like the generator I am seriously considering a small alternator. Skip

bighly

Jedi Knight
Brian,

Dang, you really went to town!! I am in the midst of breaking the bank, er I mean rebuilding the tranny. Just finished up the complete front end and brakelines throughout. I will be replacing the long fuel line next. I should do the inline fuses. erg so many more things to do.
I keep meaning to stop by every time I go through Santa cruz but cant remember where your at and kinda waiting to do it in the Healey.

Tracy