• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Old Midget MK I seats - rust - how bad is too bad?

RickB

Yoda
I pulled the old seats this afternoon.
The backs of both are in pretty good shape.

The bottoms of both are about 80% there. the back edges of both pans are pretty much gone.

The rest of the pans are in salvageable condition, so how important is the back edge of the bottoms?

Oh yeah - any semblence of "clips" rusted away a long time ago.
Is there something that can be used instead, something I might be able to buy at my local True Value store?

I figure I can clean up what I've got then spray with that anti rust stuff that turns black.

The pivot points are still there on both seats, so I guess I need to replace that hardware as it's rusty but both sides still pivot forward / back.

The bottom frames are solid enough. I can wire brush & paint them.

Thoughts? Especially about the pans please?

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Make a flat bottom out of 1/2 plywood and staple the vinyl to it. Has worked for many of us for many years.
Bill
PS I have a bandsaw that you can use :smile:

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Agree, if you have decent frames the seat bottom can be built from what ever.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Right, that's a good idea.

So - what are you up to today Bill?

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Ok, I've been thinking about it for a bit.

So I could use the bottom frame as a template and draw out on a piece of wood, making it a bit smaller all around so it will fit in the frame with the vinyl attached.

BUT
The foam seat bottoms I bought have an obtuse V shape to their bottoms, meant to fit in the angled seat bottom. Would I need to make that in the wood seat bottom as well? Or simply cut the foam to make the bottom flat?

bugimike

Yoda
I went the plywood route for years, then discovered "starboard" a PVC product used extensively in the marine business (Also brand-named "Sintra" in the sign industry)that is a weatherproof alternative to ply wood and went with that for seat bottoms...never-rot!! :thumbsup:

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Hey Mike, can I get it at Home Despot?

Can I staple into it?

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
I'm using a small wire wheel in my drill motor and then spraying with a rust neutralizer I get at the True Value hardware store.
Here are a few pics of the "progress" so far:

With my 'helpers':
seatwork1.jpg

Seat bottom frame before:
seatwork4.jpg

Seat bottom pan before:
seatwork7.jpg

Seat back front before:
seatwork8.jpg

Seat back back before:
seatwork3.jpg

Seat back (front) 1st coat:
seatwork6.jpg

Seat back (back) 1st coat:
seatwork5.jpg

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Rick,

At this point I'd seriously consider using electrolytic rust removal and a 30 gallon garbarge can. If you've got a battery charger, some washing soda( Call Arm and Hammer and they will provide nearest grocery store carryingf their product, some wire with alligator clips and a couple of in line fuse holrders and those puppies will be derusted overnight. I took a BE Grill that was all rusty, dunked in the solution, and came back next morning. Puilled out the grille( after disconnecting power of course) and lo and behold after I wiped off the crud on the surface had absolutely shiny metal under neath. I would have spent hours nad hours trying to clean up. This worked like a miracle. Rust was totally gone. Yes some pitting but now bare metal can be primed instead of trying to cover up rust. Solution, simply dumped down the toilet. This is too simple not to do it.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Thanks Jim,

but...

NOW YOU TELL ME AFTER I'VE BEEN USING A WIRE WHEEL ALL DAY!!!

:wink:

I'm using the Locktite rust converter product, it seems pretty good.

The big question that remains is, are those pans salvageable?
I'd say 90% of the metal is still there.
The upside of using them:
1. the foam seats I bought will fit right in them
2. I'll have some originality, even though they are a bit nasty

The downsides are:
1. they have cancer of the rear end
2. they will put me up higher than using the plywood or pvc flat bottom.

I could do the soda trick, I have a plastic 30 gallon garbage can handy.
Then I could pop rivot on a bit of new metal at the backs of the pans and paint them up.

Is there any other advantage to using the seat pans over the flat bottom plywood or pvc method?

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
I have wood bottoms on my MK1 seats. I wouldn't think twice about trying to save those parts you can't even see, but that's me. I'd cut some bottoms out of wood and be done with it in 10 minutes. Wood is lighter too, car will be faster!

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
The main thing is I want to create a little more space for me and that 16 inch steering wheel.

That means a nice flat wood bottom.

Plus I can staple and glue to a wood bottom a lot easier.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
I got them painted with black gloss Rustoleum.
What a difference!

seatwork9.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I guess the seat bottoms demonstrate Neil Young's comments in your signature - the backs look great though

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
You are correct JP!!

Actually turning the bottoms over just a little bit ago I determined that there was supposed to be more structure underneath than what was actually present.
They are not keepers.

I like the idea of cutting the bottoms of my seat foam to make them flat and then using a piece of plywood. I'm proceeding with that.

I want to get some of the vinyl edging that was used around the edges of the seats and put that over the (now) sharp edges like down at the pivot points of the seat backs and around the top edge of the bottom frame.
I'm sure that stuff will make my covers last longer, less sharp metal edges should mean less to cut into the upholstery.

So - where do I get something like that?

I'll take a piece of it over to the True Value tomorrow and see if they have anything like it.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
I'm not sure what you mean exactly but if you can suck up your manhood long enough to walk into a fabric store you can walk out with about any color, texture and thickness vinyl you can shake a stick at, for pennies.
I bought a hunk for $4 that refinished A TON of interior pieces.

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
Actually I'm talking about the heavy pvc stuff that wraps around the edges of things. There was some of it on the front of the bottom frames. I'll go take a picture.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
garden hose?

OP
RickB

RickB

Yoda
JPSmit said:
garden hose?

HA!!! :lol:

If I can't find the "right stuff" I'll keep that in mind!!

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Rick
How about this.
3413708398_144856d505.jpg

Clean up the seat base and remove any really bad steal that might cut your seats. Then make a plywood replacement and screw it on to the base. I would not think you would need to cut the foam, as after 40+years it has compressed some.
For Vinyl Joanne's Fabrics if you have one nearby.

P