• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Oil filter Adapter Redux

mxp01

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Gentlemen:

I am looking at purchasing a spin on oil filter adapter for my 1960 BE. It has an 1100 engine. I found that VB sells an adapter for $49, while Moss sells one for $106. The Victoria catalogue says you must have a factory oil cooler in order to make it work.

Can someone give me the low down on these adapters. of course, if I can save $50 on the purchase, then I'll go with the VB option. However, since i don't have an oil cooler.....

Let me know,

MXP

Sportsdoc

Jedi Trainee
I bought the moss one as no oil cooler is required. I think VB's requires you to route the connections through an oil cooler. Moss' comes with a reinforced hose connection that replaces the metal line from the old filter to the engine block.

Bugeye58

Yoda
healeyboz said:
This is the style that you want. Don't settle for the other nonsense!!
And if you read the fine print, you'll notice that it's a used part. (Pre-owned)

The Moss item is cheaper and comes with the hose to connect it to the block, replacing the hard line. I've had one of those on my '63 for probaably 12 years.
Jeff

healeyboz

Jedi Knight
Okay Jeff, you made me do a little search. I snatched mine off of one of Dad's old mini motors. He told me that he used to get them through Mini Mania in the 70's. I bought an adapter through Moss and it would not fit. This style bolts directly and does not have an adapter. The new ones run about $100 through Mini Mania, I just can't seem to find them... IMHO a much better design because there are less parts, it is guaranteed to fit, and there is more clearance between the filter and the frame.

MXP,
I believe that Jack is using the same style. He will probably know where to get them.

ChrisS

Jedi Knight
MXP, I've got an adapter and oil feed line if you're interested. PM me.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I got mine of of a 1275 from our friend Hap.

dklawson

Yoda
Jeff, I almost missed the part in the MM description that the filter head was "pre-owned". It seems a bit pricey at $110 for used parts even if they are cleaned up.

The VB $50 is not what you want. Keep your eyes on eBay as these come up frequently. (See eBay item #320148405768)
I assume you already have the hard pipe and banjo bolt for the block. I don't have a parts listing to confirm this, but it might be possible to move those over to the spin-on filter head.

EDIT: Don't forget to PM Tony Barnhill. He may have used ones also.

bugimike

Yoda
dklawson said:
I assume you already have the hard pipe and banjo bolt for the block. I don't have a parts listing to confirm this, but it might be possible to move those over to the spin-on filter head.

My solution was to use the banjo ends and clamp a rubber hose to get the right length/path, but I have also been told that the banjo ends are just sweat-soldered and a new copper pipe can be made up to suit!! Haven't done that myself yet, but plan to!

dklawson

Yoda
The rubber hose solution sounds good. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the shape of the hard pipe is slightly different between the spin-on and cartridge heads. Wherever I read that I remember it said that re-bending the pipe is necessary if you want to use it when installing the spin-on adapter. The hose would be a lot easier and soldering the copper wouldn't be bad of you've got a flaring tool for the other end.

65sprite

Doug is right. I changed mine to the mini mania type for a lot less than $100. I guess prices have really changed in 4 years. The original hard pipe does foul on the block. Actually on the distributor if I remember right. I could go out and check where it scratched the paint off by block to be sure. Had to re-bend the pipe. Still, I would recommend the conversion.

Ron