• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Oil Filler Cap-Retaining Wire

gsable

Country flag
Hi Guys,
You know you have made progress when you focus on a broken retaining wire for the oil cap.

My wire is broken. Can anyone tell me how to repair or replace it? It appears to be soldered to a groove in the filler neck.

What is a suitable replacement wire and how do you get the wire out of the cap?

Help is much appreciated.
Gary

John_Progess

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If it is broken at the filler neck that can be fixed by soldering/brazing a small dob on the end just big enough so it will form a sholder in the groove. As for the cap, it will have to be dissassembled (never done that) or just braze the wire at the break. Have a good day!

John

andybj8

Jedi Hopeful
Gary
An alternative way is to cut the plastic of a spade connector, snip the small metal tube off (that the wire is usually crimped into)then just slid this over the wire and crimp. You can easily use this on both ends, and its very easy to use a screwdriver to prise open the slot in the filler neck, put the end in and squeeze closed with a pair of pliers.

Cheers Andy

Genos2

Jedi Trainee
I've got perhaps 1/2 dozen or more v/covers in my basement,most complete or at least w/filler caps, should I dig them out& check condition? Or should I separate . Are they not available? Guess I've been out of touch,what are they worth? cheers Genos2

gsable, congrats. on your progress, the guys have given you good ideas on how to repair the cable, a new cap with cable from moss motors is about $14.00, i recall being able to buy just the cable from a moss distributor here in ct. 4 years ago, think it was $2-$3. :savewave:

Country flag
I've got the opposite problem. Cap and wire are good but the rivited piece that the wire goes into is loose. Any magic to re rivit it. Not a lot of room on the inside of the tube to hammer against. Pop rivits look tacky. JB weld is my next thought.

th, on my bj7 they didnt use rivets, the bracket/fixture is spot welded to the spout at each end, yours may have been rivited by a p.o. or the model car you have used rivets, if i had to, id just use small, soft aluminum pop rivets, is this the area your talking about?, --- aha!, just looked at your profile and "see" -:crazyeyes: you own a bj8, i dont know if rivets were used on them. :savewave:

Attachments

• 17740.jpg
    17740.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 158
Country flag
Thanks, Anthony. You may be right. The PO did lots of "interesting" things. Is the loading hole to the front or the back. Yours appears to be forward while mine is to the rear.

OP
G

gsable

Country flag
TH,
Anthony may have a BJ7 but his comments are correct for a BJ8. The retaining bracket on the neck of the filler tube on my BJ8 is spot welded, not riveted. The PO strikes again.
gsable

gsable, oh my goodness!! are you telling me i have a none original valve cover on my bj7?, i cant believe it! ive been duped!, i wont be able to sleep for a month, oh the humanity!..my heart is crushed!, im gooing right out to the shop and remove it and wait till dark to toss in the trash in a box so the neighbors cant see it, thanks for the info..
grin.gif
i didnt remember i replaced the original 4 years ago with a cleaner one i got off ebay, wow its gettin so i cant remember what i had for breakfast...did i even have breakfast?.....